Personal Statement for Amherst transfer; my hero Churchill

MBLTheNumbaOne 4 / 8  
Hey,

Thanks for taking time to read my essay. I personally really like this essay, but pretty positive I am not answering the prompt below. Do you agree with that? If so do you think it's possible to change it up so it answers?

Describe the life experiences, personal factors and notable challenges that have influenced you most as a student and a person. 250-500 words.
Although he had one of the most spectacular early political careers in Britain, he was universally distrusted within the political circles, for he changed parties not just once, but twice. He was perceived to be overly pushy, ambitious, and self-promoting political adventurer. His louche circle of friends only escalated doubts about his judgment. He was paragon of extravagance, owning a Rolls-Royce with a chauffeur and a mansion staffed with twenty-four servants and was predictably in perpetual debt. Although he had little interest and knowledge in finance and economics, in 1924 he became chancellor of exchequer, the second most powerful political position in Britain, responsible for all economic and financial matters. Lacking the instinctive judgment and deafened by the clamorous voices of conventional finance, he too hastily returned pound sterling to gold standard, thereby linking the British currency to all other countries with gold reserve. Upon Wall Street Crash of 1929, the U.S, the biggest economy in the world failed and global economy that was so intertwined was consequently put into peril. Decision to readopt the gold standard by Britain, the financial center of the world, only aggravated the pain.

Although the above description feels as if it were that of a failed politician , in fact, it is a biography of great Winston Churchill prior to leading the Allies to victory as a British prime minister. Despite his various pitfalls in characteristics and limitations, Churchill possessed even more qualities to the contrary. Born a natural leader with uncanny brilliance and diplomatic skills, Churchill also possessed both indomitable courage and charisma necessary to lead his country and its allies to victory. For his great contribution in the war, Churchill is not just a hero of Britain, but also to numerous people all around the world-and to me he is too. His flaws and grave errors were out-shadowed by his accomplishments and forgotten by the general public.

I recognize, like Churchill, I too am not free of flaws and errors in judgments. However, I do believe that I possess ample and valuable positive qualities that can outshone the negatives. Lao-tzu once said even he himself was far from achieving perfection, but however by recognizing so and working on one's flaws will nonetheless get him a step closer to that unachievable destination and makes him a better person than he was the day before.

To me, my weaknesses are also blessings. Small ruptures in my life taught me valuable lessons that I would not have learned. I, for one, am not afraid or ashamed of my defects either. Rather I am thankful for those, for they give me motivation to work harder to compensate for them. I am far from perfection; however I say, like Churchill, I would be remembered for my qualities by keeping up the good work.
Orangeeskies 5 / 9 1  
It is well written, you are answering the prompt. Provide a bit less information on Churchill and more on yourself, some of the background on Churchill does not contribute to the overall theme.

Home / Undergraduate / Personal Statement for Amherst transfer; my hero Churchill