Personal Statement for Radiological Technology Program

boussi112 1 / 2  
I am applying for a Radiological Technology Program and I need to summit a Personal Statement. I started it but need some help refining it. I'm not the greatest writer so any help would be great.

Instructions:
Least 250 words
Simple Sentences
Why this Program?
Why Wayne State?
What made me want to go into this field?
Why me over someone else?

Also, I don't know how to title it and whether I should put anything else on the heading besides my name.

I have always been attracted to the medical field because it combines human compassion with knowledge and technology to assist us at our weakest moments. I am most interested in Radiologic Technology because it will allow me to have direct involvement with patients and it is an ever-evolving field that promises to continue to grow and expand. I want to become a Radiologist Assistant. The first step in this goal is to get a degree in Radiologic Technology and it all begins with applying for the Bachelor's of Radiologic Technology program at Wayne State University.

I was introduced to Radiology field in my Cells and Molecular Biology class when my teacher did an extra chapter on radiation and its uses in medicine. I found the idea of diagnostic imaging amazing because it gives a physician a different perspective on the human body without having to do any surgery, and I am fascinated by the sophisticated technologies and computers used to produce these images. After job-shadowing a RT for a few hours, at a local hospital, I found that the field was a lot more complex then I originally guessed and it combines anatomy and sophisticated equipment is such a beautiful way. Radiologic Technologists work hands-on with patients and closely with physicians which was something else I liked.

To your program I will bring useful attributes and skills that I have acquired throughout my life experiences, such as self-discipline and problem-solving skills. During my three years as a waitress at Henry Ford Village, a gated retirement community, I learned how to communicate and work well with others. My job responsibilities required that learn how to take direction well because safety was always a priority when wheeling some of the residents in from their apartment, walking or helping them to their sets for dinner. During volunteer work at local hospitals and centers, communication and listening skills were very crucial when dealing with anxious and impatience people. Balancing school, work and volunteering also taught me how important time management and being organized was. The most important quality I learned was compassion and understanding of others; it is a must when working with any kind of people and environment.

I understand that there is an increasing need for qualified Radiologic Technologist because of rapidly aging population.The Radiologic Technology program at Wayne State University, with its partnership with Henry Ford Hospital, will give me the best training and education that I need to succeed in this field. With the job market being so competitive, having a bachelor's degree will give me an advantage because it would give me options such as teaching or administration that a certificate would not. The RT program also gives me options to advance my career by offering additional certification in Computed Tomography and Mammography. Knowing that this program has a 100% pass rate on the Registry Examination assures me that this program will have me thoroughly prepared for employment in any hospital or clinic in the United States.
...because it combines human compassion with knowledge and technology to assist us at our weakest moments.
... because it will allow me to have direct involvement with patients and it is an ever-evolving field that promises to continue to grow and expand.

These reasons are eloquently expressed, but maybe not as complex and meaningful as it could be. Why radiology instead of some other branch that is evolving and gives you direct involvement?

Anyway, I am just challenging you to help; it is already great. I especially like the paragraph where you tell what you will bring (paragraph 3).

For a title... it is tough, because you don't really have a theme. This is disjointed because of having to accommodate their multi-part prompt. But still, you should think of the word that best expresses the most important point of the essay, and use that word in the title.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / Personal Statement for Radiological Technology Program