My Personal Statement for University entry to study Accounting.

obistaiwo 1 / -  
I have always had this passion for business and calculation and that was what led me into taking a deep look into what accounting is all about.

Life is always about record, this applies to business as well; these records are used for analysing what has happened in the past, processing present situations as well as making future decisions thereby making records very important and indispensable. However, records not put together in a meaningful way can be difficult to understand, negating the purpose for which it was collected. Therefore, there is the need to find means of putting records in order for proper and meaningful use.

Accounting is the classification, analysis and interpretation of the financial records of an enterprise, serving as the means of putting these records together in a meaningful way. Accountants on their part are specialists trained to put these records together in a meaningful way.

At first it was quite difficult to understand the basis of Accounting as a course and its purpose to the progression of global business, but after studying AAT for two and a half years, I am beginning to understand the logic behind it and its importance to the development of economies. I very much believe there is a lot more to accounting than I have already learnt and I have been stimulated, and I'm absolutely ready, to know all that makes Accounting tick. And what better place to learn this than in the University. Studying Accounting will help me fully understand the fundamentals behind it and also help me achieve my goal of becoming a chartered accountant after my studies in the University coupled with ACCA.

I know there is a lot I stand to gain in the University, not only in terms of academic quality, but also in the wealth of knowledge I can amass from researches. Also, I believe that a vision dies due to lack of people, because no man is an island; no individual can single-handedly get to the top or achieve his or her set targets without the support of other individuals, regardless of how minute such support might be. Therefore, I am particularly excited to meet and interact with other students as there is a lot we can learn from each other.

I believe strongly in my personal strengths and was appointed Head Girl in Secondary School as a result of my hard work, diligence, integrity and dedication to my studies. I am an organised, hardworking and self-motivated Individual who, once I know what I want, is dedicated to achieving all I set out to do. Also, I passed my AAT Foundation and Intermediate examination in one sitting and finished all my course works long before the due dates. However, I am still in the process of development and only hope that by the time I graduate from the University, I will become a lot better person than I am now.

Outside my study hours, my hobbies are jogging to keep fit and reading novels. My two favourite Authors are Danielle Steel and Sidney Sheldon. I particularly like Sidney's style of writing; taking us through various lines of profession.

I also have a part-time job as a sales operative which I took up, to give me an idea of the real life experience in the work place.

I am looking forward to going to University especially outside my own area of residence because I do not only want to build my career, I also want to mix with various groups and cultures; see how things are done differently in other societies, picking from their positive values and incorporate it into mine.
astaroth - / 1  
Accounting is the classification

serving as the means of putting these records together

Isn't that a bit redundant?

I believe strongly in my personal strengths

I strongly believe in my strengths

I know there is a lot I stand to gain in the University, not only in terms of academic quality, but also in the wealth of knowledge I can amass from researches

Again it sounds redundant
Add a comma:
I have always had this passion for business and calculation, and that...

Life is always about record-keeping and calculation; this is especially true of business, be cause business records are used for...

You should think of a main idea for this essay - the central truth you want it to convey. State that truth at the end of the first paragraph and at the end of the last paragraph. By doing that, you will give the reader an idea to take away as the "moral of the story."

Home / Undergraduate / My Personal Statement for University entry to study Accounting.