Stop fearing the future; surrounded by doctors, lawyers and businessmen

carlosdave 1 / 4  
Growing up in a wealthy town on Long Island, I have been surrounded by doctors, lawyers and businessmen for most of my life. My friends have already started investing in stocks and reading law textbooks to prepare for their futures. My peers tend to look at my habits in confusion when I purchase new music equipment with my hard earned money or list my future career as physical sciences on the common app. They expect me to list a more lucrative career to earn a larger salary. They expect me to stop producing rap music because they infer that it will not be a factor when applying to college.

I have come to realize that monetary value is of secondary importance to me. I truly believe that instead of chasing success one should follow their passions and success will soon chase them. In my town I have observed a diverse amount of talent from various areas of interest. However, what is disturbing is when a talented individual claims that they are members of an extracurricular they dislike strongly to get into the college of their dreams, fearing what would happen if they had lost that activity. All I can think about is how far they could go if they used their talent for something they truly loved, leading to a plethora of individuals asking themselves "what if I chose this instead" later in life.

What matters to me is having no fear of the future and avoiding the speculation of "what if." To follow this lifestyle, I have chosen not to resist my interests and let them guide me towards the road to success. I have become a risk taker in that I choose to accept every intellectual challenge or opportunity presented. For example, my peers have often questioned my reasoning for applying to my dream university, Stanford, for restrictive early action because it is one of the most difficult universities to get accepted into for an individual in the east coast. My response is always consistent and concise, "all the more reason to take the chance."

Thanks for the feedback in advance.
chium 2 / 4  
I really like how your essay explains what sets you apart from some of the rest of the applicants. It really captures your drive to pursue your passions!

Something that was confusing to me as when you started going on about your peers instead of yourself. Maybe rephrase those parts a little?
But overall very good essay! I really love the last sentence; from that one line I can really see your attitude on life!
OP carlosdave 1 / 4  
Thank you for your feedback.
sarthakjain 19 / 58  
strong writing I think . perfect for a place like Stanford. but you should check the structure of sentences a little bit. they appear too wordy sometimes.

Home / Undergraduate / Stop fearing the future; surrounded by doctors, lawyers and businessmen