'a strong foundation in business' Fashion Institute of Technology, Personal Statement

sumbeams 1 / -  
I don't have any professional training or experience in fashion business as some other applicants may have.
And because my grades aren't outstandlingly good, this essay will probably be the deciding factor of whether I get in or not.
It'll be great if anyone can help me improve this rough draft.

I always sought fashion as being powerful, as it has the power to influence, attract, and to create. Its ability in being able to change a person both physically and mentally had always left me astonished. Some may argue that this claim is a glorified exaggeration, but not too long ago, I have had a personal experience to prove this to be true.

From adolescence, I enjoyed studying and analyzing fashion through foreignl fashion magazines and blogs. I didn't have an in-depth answer, but I knew I wanted to be a buyer and built my own store right after college. But as we all know, life can take unexpected turns. A thick hazy cast blankets over my memories of my last two years, which makes it difficult to recall the details that had put my life into a complete halt. Symptoms of depression had surfaced somewhere in high school, and had only continued to escalate. Just a few months before my senior graduation, a storm of anxiety and fear had struck me, and my mind had shut down. I collapsed at my school, and had to later withdraw. This memory was so vague that sometimes, I wonder if it really did happen. But the subtle wave of sadness and ambiguity that shows up time to times tells me it did. My horrid grades and the crumpled prescription papers stuffed in the medicine cabinet are physical proofs. However, my muddy memory starts picking up as I began to recover.

After getting professional help, I slowly made progress. While I had grown comfortable enough to go out in public, I felt insecure in everything I did. It was then my aunt from japan had sent me a dress which I deemed unsuitable for someone ugly as myself. As I gazed at my reflection in the mirror wearing the dress, I was pan struck with an emotion I had long forgotten. I was suddenly struck with a bolt realization that love for fashion had always been within me and never once faded.

I began my research for a fashion school and came across F.I.T multiple times from various websites. Investigating further, I was astonished to learn about how F.I.T had strong backgrounds in fashion business and the high rate of successors in designers, producer, and enterprises. What caught my attention was the attentive care students benefited from the small class ratio, various intern and study abroad opportunities', and the exclusive guest list of public speakers who come to inspire. Without a doubt, the students are trained for success. Getting a degree and graduating from a reputable school as F.I.T would be a boost to my career.

My passion has etched a new pathway for me, and I was able to complete my high school education. To redeem my grades, I had decided to register classes at a local community college. It was a great challenge of getting back in the habit of being in a populated room, and having to be an active participant. Rehabilitation was the most difficult phase, and it was a repetition of adding, feeling discouraged, and then quickly dropping classes. Although I took breaks in between to recollect my motivation, my dream and passion had always stayed the same. I challenged my perseverance and determination, by first conquering my weaknesses and acquiring skills I would need to help me succeed in school. I took nightly adult classes for art and computer (blog making), so that I could find ways to relieve my stress levels to avoid the same mistakes from happening. I decided to apply, and got accepted a part time job as a swim instructor to enhance my communication skills and strengthen my trust in people. Now, I have the confidence and am taking six community college classes regularly with no dismay. I have also gotten a marketing internship accepted for a company producing a communication application for smart phones known as Voice4u. My primarily role is to revise and write paper works and advertisements. As I do this, I am taught what it takes to establish a business and understanding the many factors that come to play for success. Though the product is not fashion related, it is helping me build a strong foundation in business. My life had greatly been changed by fashion and F.I.T, and it would mean so much if I get accepted. As the year goes and I await your letter, I will still l continue to grow.
Thors Hammer 5 / 60  
I stopped reading at "ugly"...
Please do not put yourself down, not ever, not ever on paper, not even in public. You are better than that!
Re-write...
Please though, understand that I too have felt like you, but who cares what others think, true happiness cannot be found - it's given...

Home / Undergraduate / 'a strong foundation in business' Fashion Institute of Technology, Personal Statement