"strong morals are necessary in today's society" - FSU Admission Essay

jkrusemark1 2 / -  
For almost one hundred years, the Latin words, "Vires, Artes, Mores" have been the guiding philosophy behind Florida State University.

I believe that strong morals are necessary in today's society. To prepare for the world my mother began teaching me morals at a young age. She ensured that I behaved in a pleasant way to everyone. One of her main stances on behavior, which I strongly agree with, is that a person should do to others what they want done to themselves. This belief is what I try to live by every day. My mother also tried to instill strong morals by taking me to church. Through the Bible I have learned many life lessons that will always stand true. Church taught me to always put myself in other people's shoes and to be empathetic to other's situations. Understanding somebody else's feelings makes it impossible not to want to help. Helping others is the most important lesson that I have learned from Church and I try to exemplify that moral on a daily basis.

My strength comes from within, from my morals. I try to increase my strength by exercising my morals through helping others. Knowing that I'm doing the right thing gives me strength. One of the ways I try to help the community is through volunteer work. For about a year I have been helping Jacksonville Humane Society by fostering and socializing abandoned and rescued animals. A way that I have helped individuals is by mentoring. During my junior year I participated in a mentoring program between a local middle school and my high school. I was paired with a student and we discussed concerns that she had, current issues, and how to react in certain situations. I hope that through the mentoring program she gained the confidence and strength she needed as well as learned the morals that will help her succeed in life. I also exercise my morals in everyday situations. When I lived in Mississippi there were a lot of situations that tested my moral strength. Mississippi isn't known as a nice place to live because of plenty of alcohol and drug abuse as well as teen pregnancy. Every decision I made was based on what I thought was morally correct. By standing by what I believed was right and standing against what I believed was wrong I hoped that I set an example to others so that they would be encouraged to do the right thing.

I try to help my friends and my younger sister by teaching them the importance of morals Through my decisions and actions I aim to set a good example of a person with moral strength. I want my friends to be well equipped to succeed in the world and the main tool that will help them do that is a strong moral base. My younger sister is very important to me and I want her to be the best person she can be. To be the best, she has to have an understanding of morals. I strive to help her gain moral strength via setting an example and talking with her. Communicating with her is necessary to teach her how to be great person. Talking is a great way to show that you care while educating a person on what to do and what not to do. I thank my mother for giving me strength by encouraging my moral development each day by acting in a respectable and honest way and by helping others find their strength.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
I think you have a great essay here. You explain how this characteristic affects your life and give great examples. The essay flows easily and you have a good conclusion as well as introduction. Nice work.

Home / Undergraduate / "strong morals are necessary in today's society" - FSU Admission Essay