Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

My struggles and aspirations from my dad's market - UC prompt 2

cocoissweet 1 / -  
I've just finish with these essays and they are pretty much just rough drafts, so i need a lot of revisions and helps on them. I will really appreciate it if you can just read it and point out my mistakes. thank you very much!

Prompt 2: Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?

Its been 4 years since I have come to America to start my new life. In these four years, I have come to work for my dad in his market every Sunday. During the holidays or long weekends, I've always been here, in the market, working hard for my dad. At first, I was rejecting the idea of working with my dad due to his scary personality, but later on I started to think coming to work as an experience that I can learn a lot from. The first job I've done in my dad's market is a cashier. I thought it was fun to count the items and accept cash. Yet due to some customer's complaint my dad got mad at me doing a cashier's job and he forbid me to do so. I was feeling very dejected at that time, my excitement for work gone down to zero. Later as I grew up, my dad slowly and gradually gave me work to do. I then slowly adapt myself into my dad's world and learn how to survive in it. I still make some mistakes like sometimes I messed up on counting the money, and some customer are nice enough to remind me the extra money I gave them; I was very grateful to those customers. Yet my dad and some customer are not so nice to me, they scolded me strictly and warned me there is no next time for me. I was very scared and did not want to continue to be here, but I have nowhere else to go, so I gritted my teeth and continue to endure. I start to found out about the other side of our customer and how ugly they can be when I start to cash checks. I seen a lot of people who lived with meager money that they make out of their job and struggle with it. He taught me a lot about psychology and how people act through this exercise. I learned how to observe people, decide what should be done and have confidence in myself. I realized that in every place always have somebody that dominates and control that place, like my dad's market is his own world that he carved out with his own hand. In this world, my dad is the King; whatever he said is the rule of this world. As for me, I am just a person who does not have my own place yet. I liked how my dad has his own world that he can live in. Thus I decided that someday I will carve out my own niche and live comfortably in it, with nobody saying no to me or my action. My dad said, the most important thing is to not let others look down on you, because if they do, they will pressure you to give out more and in the end you'll be the one left with nothing. He told me the stories of his customers and what had lead them into that path. He showed me some of the examples of a miserable life through our customer, some of them have a very sad life due to their personality and habits. Sometimes I heard the news about our customer die due to violence. I saw how these young mothers struggle to live their life with little money and a child to take care of. I've seen those people who put their whole life on betting their money to nothing. I witnessed people who stole something just for the sake of their own enjoyment. I shivered on the thought of me being like them, so I resolved to live a better life and take good care of myself. I still have a long road waiting for me to walk on. What I have seen and learned in this market became a part of me, they will be the lesson I looked upon when I lived my life and how I solve those problem is how I am.

Home / Undergraduate / My struggles and aspirations from my dad's market - UC prompt 2