Studying Public Policy - Cornell Essay

Moonlight1689 1 / -  
Okay so I already turned this in, but I want your thoughts on it. The prompt was "Why are you drawn to studying public policy? Drawing on your experiences, tell us about why you are interested in your chosen major and how attending the Brooks School will help you achieve your life goals." But I later realized the life goal was supposed to connect to my career, and not Supposed to be separate. THEN, I didn't specify inspiring others was my life goal. It was about me pursuing public policy, and how I inspire others. Then at Cornell (not Brooks) I wanted my inspiration and adversities to inspire students there.

Majoring in Public Policy at Cornell will further shape my perspective. Experiencing the effects of policies firsthand with mental health and homelessness, I found my drive to change America through working closely with district representatives and a nonprofit organization as a government relations intern. My career path changed into analyzing policies that could effectively impact the lives of people with similar stories as mine. I intend to use my opportunities in Brooks School to comprehend and advocate for accessibility to mental health resources for teens. Currently experiencing homelessness, I also want to analyze how policies regarding the intake process and eligibility of shelters could be improved for low-income families.

After interning as a government relations coordinator at Find Community Connections Project, I learned the importance of community needs - even if it's for recreational purposes. Advocating on behalf of the community to district representatives such as Nikki Lucas and Brian Cunningham sparked my interest in pursuing public policy. Nikki Lucas hosted a workshop for fellow interns to discuss the process done to pass policies and the significance of advocating for communities with little to no voice. As a dedicated advocate for mental health, I pitched a policy to Nikki Lucas regarding teen mental health access. However, my advocacy will be a lifelong career that I will continue to pursue at the Brooks School if given the opportunity. Attending the Brooks School will help me achieve my life goal of inspiring and advocating for others through becoming a Policy Analyst and working in Government Affairs. Although I received a Mayoral recognition award for my accomplishments, one of the awards I hold closer to my heart is the inspiration I provide to my others.

When I competed in Miss Teen New York USA and attended Peer Forward's workshop, I was honored to be told how much my energy and passion helped students around me. One student said to me at the workshop: "because you were vocal and took initiative, I'm no longer afraid to talk. I found my voice because of you." A winner of last year's Miss Congeniality and my 3-day mentor told me "I see a light in you. I want you to always remember to stay true to who you are and continue to be the best version of yourself. There is no luck, but rather hard work." I want my inspiration to help shape Cornell. I don't only want my grades to do the talking, as it is not the only hard work I want to limit myself to being known for. Funnily enough, I never branded myself as a leader, but rather an inspiration. A beacon of light for many. No matter which space I'm in, time and time again have I sparked ambition in the many people I've encountered. The word "leadership" doesn't guarantee someone will heed your directions, but being an inspiration allows me to sleep well at night, knowing I left an impact that stuck with friends, peers, adults, and even strangers.

I want my presence at Cornell to be a reminder to every future student, that your circumstance should never hinder you from achieving your dreams. Rather, use it to make you stronger, and that's what I did. Facing homelessness was the most significant test that God placed in my path. However, instead of succumbing to defeat, I transformed it into motivation and discipline. Despite lacking home internet, I completed every school project, essay, and college application on my phone. I worked hard even when I wanted to give up and I maintained my title as salutatorian for my high school Class of 2024. Despite adversities, I joined a Youth Journalism Coalition as a leader working to make journalism accessible in public schools. My adversity didn't hinder my success; rather, it fueled my determination to secure a stable future and inspire others to overcome obstacles.
The first thing you have to understand is that there are no right or wrong answers to these essays. You do not have to follow a specific formula for your written presentation. So you cannot assume that what you wrote is wrong or unacceptable. Thinking out of the box is admired by admissions officers, provided it does not go overboard. Separating your responses is fine. You won't lose anything by having done that. You can rest easy knowing that the reviewers will read your paper without judgement and base your admission on the student requirements that they have. Your chance of getting into Cornell is the same as every other applicant. Do not worry about it.

Home / Undergraduate / Studying Public Policy - Cornell Essay