Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

A Summer Traveller's Log-Princeton Summers Essay

ShadoPoig 11 / 36  
Here's my take on the Summers Essay. Please let me know any edits!
It's 4 characters under the max, so...

We apologize for the delay. As the 1 subway train grinds to a halt in a labyrinth of tunnels, my hectic day amid the New York City rush meets with stillness and silence. Juggling three management and technology internships throughout most of this past summer, I haven't had much time to collect my thoughts. I pull out my journal to take stock of yesterday's activities. Each one of my train stops could reflect a different part of my quest to study engineering and business.

8/24/10

231st St.
7:13-A busy day is ahead of me; I'll wake my mind up by trying to finish the daily crossword before my stop.

8:09-I need to get off soon, but two clues remain. I have no idea what the answers are...

116th St., Columbia University
10:56-I went to the field, touring a boiler room. I need to find the most cost-efficient way to replace parts that are worn. It's the closest I've been to merging engineering and business so far.

4:45-I submitted a 12 page proposal on how to employ the German engineer and bypass restrictive wage determination.I was asked to talk in a meeting between the people involved in the project.

42nd St., Times Square
5:37-We've made the Facebook and LinkedIn profiles for the club and drafted an email to send to affiliate marketing directors of companies using LinkShare.

28th St.
7:31-The movie that will be displayed on the Solaire Generation website and presented at San Francisco is almost done! I exhibited the movie in a board meeting and will finish the revisions in the coming days.

It dawned on me how this summer has been much more intense than last year's. In 2009, I took a train that led me to the Debate Institute at Northwestern University. There, I worked with debaters from around the nation to compile evidence for the 2009-10 policy debate topic.

At home, my summer was bereft of any train rides. I played keyboards and bought a guitar, teaching myself songs and gaining dexterity on the fretboard. I would play music by day and retreat to my desk by night to work on a few independent projects. One was a research paper on alternative energy. Another was Charity360, which I was drafting an interview template for. It was a comfortable summer, and I explored whatever piqued my interest.

The 1 train resumed from its brief rest. The motion jerked me out of my recollections. Each of my subway stop this summer led me closer to my career aspirations. On the path to being an entrepreneur involved with globalized, affordable green technology, my next stop is college.

Home / Undergraduate / A Summer Traveller's Log-Princeton Summers Essay