'Teen Drinking' APPLY TEXAS: Choose an issue of importance to you

Gsan82 2 / 8  
Prompt: Choose an issue of importance to you - the issue could be personal, school related, local, political, or international in scope - and write an essay in which you explain the significance of that issue to yourself, your family, your community, or your generation.

In our nation today alcohol is easily and irresponsibly consumed by adults and teenagers alike. Although the legal drinking age is 21, teenagers drink regularly at parties, or with friends. This irresponsible action causes people to become a danger not only to others, but to their very own lives. Teen drinking is a prevalent problem within my community and can jeopardize a young adult's future by endangering themselves.

The world's view on teen drinking has had a toll on the people around me because now my friends and peers have begun to think that everyone does. So why shouldn't they? It's as if the populace just accepts that this wrong action just simply happens. More and more teens are adopting this mindset and are falling victims to the crime of underage teen drinking. In my very own society I have seen the effects that drinking has on its victims.

Last October, one of my own friends became the prey of alcohol poisoning. He went to a party and drank some beer. That may seem harmless, but then he went back home and snuck out of his house to go to a friend's "get-together" one mile away. When he arrived to the party unfortunately he continued to drink more alcohol and harder liquors. Around 3 in the morning he started to walk home and unfortunately his blood-alcohol level was too high. He passed away in the middle of the road and then was hit by a car a little later in the night. His blood-alcohol level was .24, three times the legal limit.

This was only one of the many unfortunate accidents that have happened throughout the country and in my own community. His example has opened the eyes of a few people, but the majority has continued to conform to the worlds view on teen drinking, that it is okay to do. When someone doesn't fully understand the consequences, or if they don't even care about them, then this view can make people perform the "acceptable" feat of drinking, and within a split second, like my friend Connor, a life can be taken from this world.

Teen drinking is a prevalent and growing act that more and more teens within my own neighborhood have started to rebel to, and can endanger young adults' futures. Whether its acceptance, conformity, depression or just the consumer's mental understanding, drinking has inflicted pain and consequences to a plethora of teens, and has ultimately caused one of my own friends' tragic demise. It can be stopped though. To stop this tragic problem, we must prevent the infection from spreading to others and halt it where it starts, in the mentality of teenagers.

Thank you for any help!
daredevi435 1 / 1  
I know that this is a very hard topic to write about because it is so personal, but the prompt asks for the significance of this issue. Talk more about how it played a factor in your life and what the irresponsibility of your friend did to you. Very good piece of writing though.
OP Gsan82 2 / 8  
Thank you! I realized I didn't necissarily directly answer the prompt.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Teen Drinking' APPLY TEXAS: Choose an issue of importance to you