Think independently!; University of Chicago - learning, community, and future

msbluealien 1 / -  
How does the University of Chicago, as you know it now, satisfy your desire for a particular kind of learning, community, and future? Please address with some specificity your own wishes and how they relate to UChicago.

My high school cultivated the importance of imagination and originality. "Progress happens when some people start to see things differently. Think independently!" were the first words I heard from my Math teacher. This little community of students taught me, apart from Physics and other school subjects, that if we all follow the same patterns, the society cannot develop. And I definitely believe that at University of Chicago I can find the same idea of liberty of expression. The phrase "Our education empowers individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of original ideas." from your website, caught my eye because it reflects exactly my opinion about education. The world needs ideas, great minds, enthusiastic leaders.

I believe University of Chicago is the best place where I can develop my passion for Physics. I want to study Physics because it gives me the opportunity to bring my little contribution to the society and the chance to discover something that will help the next generations.

Scientific research fascinates me and this enticed me to your university. I want to become part of a small community of dedicated scientists. Last summer, at the National Institute of Physics and Nuclear Engineering, I met such a group of researchers. Me and other eight students interested in Physics had the chance to participate in a unique project at the institute. We visited the three accelerators, did experiments, learnt about particle detectors, used computer programs to create spectrums, work on gamma matrices and identify chemical elements. After those weeks, I could totally say that I want to become a scientist. At University of Chicago, my penchant for research would be encouraged due to the variety of research opportunities. I am particularly interested in the partnership with Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory and I also want to join the Institute for Nuclear Astrophysics.

Moreover, I want to join Women in Science association. At the Physics Olympiad, at the project from the Nuclear Institute, at the Performance training center for Physics, I used to be the only girl. There is still a misconception (surprisingly, not among men, but among women) that women are not suitable for science and University of Chicago tries to change it.

Finally, I enjoy that Chicago values diversity. Nothing sounds more appealing to me than working together with students from all around the world. Different nationalities and personalities, all united by the same dream of contributing to Physics' development. Apart from professional success, Chicago encourages students to be part of the community, to contribute to the society and to establish friendships. Student organizations support creativity and freedom of thought and help the formation of a complete modern human, with interests which exceed his field of study. Considering my penchants for tennis, swimming, ballet, rock music, logic puzzles and science fiction literature, I find it wonderful that Chicago supports a large variety of hobbies.

(I think that it is too long and maybe there are some unnecessary phrases)
sanzhar 2 / 9  
I think that you should add creativity to your essay , just make it easy and interesting to read.

Home / Undergraduate / Think independently!; University of Chicago - learning, community, and future