Three types of joy in life; BARD / Short response to thoughts

carvonde 1 / 1  
The roman philosopher Seneca, writing in the first century, wrote a letters of advice to a young friend. In the 23rd letter he wrote, "Make this your business: learn how to feel joy....True joy, believe me, is a serious thing." Write a short response to these thoughts, indicating if you wish, the extent to which you may have come to realize that Seneca was right.

Receiving complements on the new shoes you bought last weekend, getting 100 on your history quiz, and seeing a smaller number on the tape measure around your waist. While these might put a smile on our faces; what kind of pleasure do they stir up inside us, are these feelings temporary or are they really true joy?

True joy cannot be measured and bought; it is the emotion given to you only by something grand- the universe, the people you hold dearest to your heart, and yourself. It fills your entire body with awe and leaves goose bumps on your skin. It's the calming feeling you get when you look out into the subtle night sky and realize how small you are compared to the elegant universe. How belittling it is that all the stars in space outnumber every sound or word ever uttered by every human who has ever existed. The feeling of really experiencing happiness with friends; laughing so hard that it goes silent and your abdomen hurts. When time seems to slow down when you're with loved ones; to just stare and enjoying the existence of one another. Feeling renewed as you breathe in the crisp winter air and when you exhale it seems like all the problems in the world being washed away from you. Looking into the mirror and smiling. Smiling because you don't care what others think, smiling because you finally feel comfortable in your own skin.

These are the true joys in life; so go out there and make experiencing it not only your business but your goal. Enjoy sitting with friends and family around a campfire on the beach. Enjoy that extra cheese extra bacon hamburger. It is important to you, because in the end you'll look back with content.
paigeevaa 4 / 9 3  
Enjoy that extra cheese extra bacon hamburger.

This is the only materialistic thing you mention...maybe change it to go with the rest of the theme? Such as:
Enjoy that night out with friends even if you still have a ton of work to do.

Just a suggestion! Overall I really like this!
catc22 1 / 3  
This is a great narrative. I enjoyed reading it! Specially the hamburger bit.

However, I felt this was more like a philosophy. It does not speak about you- how you have experienced true joy. It is more like reading it off some book. It needs to speak about how your experience resonates with that of Seneca. That is not coming across. My two cents.

Think about it :)

Home / Undergraduate / Three types of joy in life; BARD / Short response to thoughts