Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"The tombstone will be my diploma" - My Florida State University application essay

benshlomo94 1 / -  
topic: Florida State University is more than just a world-class academic institution preparing you for a future career. We are a caring community of well-rounded individuals who embrace leadership, learning, service, and global awareness. With this in mind, which of these characteristics appeal most to you and why?

Essay:
Eartha Kitt once said "I am learning all the time. The tombstone will be my diploma." Learning is something we constantly do throughout our entire lifetime. Everyday of our lives we learn new things and our knowledge increases. Our life can take many materialistic things from us; however, one thing we will never lose is our knowledge that we have acquired throughout our life. Knowledge is the most important thing in the world. A person's knowledge determines where they will be in the world financially, physically, and mentally.

The world in which we live in today is constantly changing. New problems occur that lead to new solutions. New ideas and inventions emerge and new laws are introduced. This means that if we do not continuously learn more everyday, the gap between us and the modern world widens.

When I first began elementary school, learning was not an important aspect of my life. I would constantly dawdle, procrastinate, and fool around in class rather than work hard and pay attention. However, I soon realized how much of my life will be affected by what I learn. I realized I would not be financially, physically, or mentally stable in the world if I did not take learning seriously. If I did not begin to learn as much as I can everyday I would not be able to mentally grow. I began to work harder in school, pay attention to the lessons, and try to acquire as much knowledge as I possibly could.

I first began high school at Shelton High School in Shelton, Connecticut. I worked hard every single day to not just to earn good grades, but also acquire as much knowledge as I possibly could throughout my high school career. I would spend hours each night studying and trying to memorize as much information as I could.

After my freshman year, I found out that my family planned to move to Hollywood, Florida. As much as I was upset about having to attend a new school, Hollywood Hills High School, I realized I needed to move on and continue learning as much as I can there and get over the transition. This is now my third year attending Hollywood Hills High School and I still continue to learn as much as I can everyday.

I have not only limited myself to learning. By being a member of the National Honor Society I embrace leadership. My interest in politics and global issues helps me become aware of issues going on in the world. By volunteering two consecutive summers in my synagogue, completing 254 hours of community service, I embrace service. I look forward to embracing not only learning, but also leadership, service, and global awareness at Florida State University.

editing and criticizing please.

Home / Undergraduate / "The tombstone will be my diploma" - My Florida State University application essay