"The Treble and the Bass" - No prompt, just me rambling

JustJoshinbyJ 3 / 4  
In the sprawling hill country of East Tennessee, I spend an absurdly long time driving through back roads and sparse highways everyday. There is really no better way to let that pavement roll by than a stream of my favorite music coming from the speakers. On my impressively technological dash, I have three adjustments I can make for sound: Treble, Mid, and Bass. These options are left at precise settings at all times.

If unable to guess, Mid shifts the sound from the back of the car to the front. I keep it set to the exact middle. I need balance. I want to be completely surrounded and absorbed in the subject I am exposed to. I let all important aspects of my person permeate through my life and reign in equally from every direction. If something harped too harshly from a certain direction, I would be forced away; I would crave time withdrawn. I adjust until I find equilibrium between my logics and my arts, my beauty and my industry, my physical and my ethereal.

This past summer, I went to the Ross Mathematics Program (affectionately christened "math camp" by my friends). Do not mistake me, it was an incredible experience; however, it was a full eight weeks of constant math, all day, everyday. During the first couple of weeks, it was difficult. Mathematics, this subject that I love, suddenly usurped my world, and I could not stabilize my see-saw life. I did not know the people well enough to engage a social combatant, and the problem sets were too demanding to allow time for the extensive literature I had lugged along with me. It took time for me to find equilibrium in this oddly weighted world, but once I did I was right as rain, steady and proceeding.

The Treble and the Bass on my sound system are set opposite each other. The Treble is set three-fourths to the highest setting, and the Bass resides at only a fourth. The most important part of music is the lyrics. It is the words being said. Everything is subservient to the story being told and the emotion being conveyed. The music conveyed in my car is poetry set to tune, and I strive to do the same with my life. I work toward a life of verse set in motion.

I stare at stars, because eyes should linger about the heavens. I step through darkness jauntily, because dancing in the night seems appropriate. I run through fields of tall grass and play games with creatures that enjoy it more than I. I work hard, and I finish what needs to be done, but I do not sacrifice a moment of beauty for an hour of progress. When someone speaks with me, I listen; I really listen. I strive to every extent to hear the words, the groans, the sighs, and understand the undertones, the substance. I live with all my switches lined up correctly, and hope I can emit my life with the settings all perfect. Give me a futility, and I will show you meaning.

*Revision*
516words for a 500word limit
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon.

What are the requirements for this assignment?

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
OP JustJoshinbyJ 3 / 4  
This is just an essay I was thinking about sending to colleges as an optional essay. I just decided to ramble about some stuff. I think it is kind of different and sheds some light. What do you think?
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good morning.

I think the content is definately unique; it seems to be a good vehicle for you to express your thoughts. You draw some good parallels in the piece. Very nice.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
OP JustJoshinbyJ 3 / 4  
Hi, thanks
I dont mean to be a bother, but honestly and truthfully if you were a admissions counselor would appreciate me including this?
Because, this isn't going to be a required essay, just something extra. Would you be glad I sent this or would rather not waste the effort?
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
I think it would be a good thing to hand in as an extra; I don't think it's appropriate for a main piece, but as a secondary section it does showcase your writing as well as your thoughts nicely.

It is also a window into your personality and the way you operate, and the admissions board would take that into consideration along with the rest of your application material and interviews.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com

Home / Undergraduate / "The Treble and the Bass" - No prompt, just me rambling