BU essay - a trip to Boston

gmailblows31 6 / 21  
Prompt- Students consider many factors when applying to college. Briefly discuss who or what influenced your decision to apply to BU.

Last summer I took a trip to Boston to celebrate the end of my junior year in high school. I had been to Boston several times before, but I increasingly anticipated the visit because I was going to visit Boston University. Upon arriving on campus, I was struck by how the school was situated; branching off in the center of the city while holding its roots by the shores of the Charles River. My mother and I participated in the information session and the subsequent campus tour, and I became infatuated with the school. I learned of the hundreds of school organizations and the involvement that the school has in the community. I learned of past students, namely Martin Luther King Jr., and the prestige that Boston University has in collegiate ranks.

After finishing the tour my mother and I asked one of the students if we could have a list of restaurants near by the school. She handed us a pamphlet that had the names of dozens of restaurants. My mother and I chose a Vietnamese restaurant that was a block from the campus. As we had done in our past college visits, my mother asked me what I thought of the school. I told her that the University was exactly what a wanted; a diverse school with immense opportunities that was situated in a small city. The small city part was very important to me, as other schools that I had been to were either very small, or had no history. In Boston I would have everything at my disposal; a world class education, phenomenal social opportunities and a taste of the big city.

Walking around campus that day and later going to a Red Sox game, I envisioned myself living in Boston and experiencing the city. When we walked over to the stadium I felt at home. Growing up a Mets fan and experiencing the baseball "community", the walk to Fenway felt natural. Overall, this was one of the best experiences in my life, and I hope to be able to feel the same way for four years!
I had been to Boston several times before, but I especially anticipated this visit because I was going to be visiting Boston University.

After finishing the tour, I asked one of the students if I could have a list of restaurants near by the school. She handed us a pamphlet that had the names of dozens of restaurants. I chose a Vietnamese restaurant that was a block from the campus. As we had done in our past college visits, my mother asked me what I thought of the school. I told her that the University was exactly what a wanted: a diverse school with immense opportunities that was situated in a small city.

YES, I agree that Boston is extremely cool. Good essay, this answers the prompt, for sure, but I think you should add some explanation of your academic aspirations. What is your intended major, and what special resources does BU offer.

I think you should have one paragraph about the trip and another paragraph about other reasons you like BU.

Good Luck!!!!!!!! :)

Home / Undergraduate / BU essay - a trip to Boston