"two guilty pleasures: baking and 90's sitcoms" - roommate essay

rayban11 7 / 24  
Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. Write a note to your future roommate that reveals something about you or that will help your roommate - and us - know you better. (250 words/1800 characters)

My two guilty pleasures? Baking and 90's sitcoms. It is the perfect combination for a cozy Saturday night spent with a couple of my best friends. While reruns of Friends or Everybody Loves Raymond play in the background, we are busy making chai snickerdoodle cookies or trying to find a "healthy" alternative to white chocolate bark. It is simple, nothing fancy, but for those few hours, all we have to worry about is making sure that we are not so engrossed with the TV that we forget about the timer that rang ten minutes ago!

I am a little embarrassed to admit this, but until last year, puppy chow was about the only item I could make from scratch. At our school, birthdays are celebrated with trays and trays of baked goods, but there is an unofficial rule that all items must be homemade. However, because I decided to forgo puppy chow as one of my New Year's resolutions, I began to experiment with a little more complicated but still fail-proof recipes. I am proud to say that I have now mastered Oreo truffle balls and peanut butter fudge. I am still working on the vanilla sponge cake, but I am getting there!

By the time I meet you, hopefully I will be able to have a more extensive menu. Let me know whether you prefer chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry though so I can prepare it for our first late night TV date. I will even let you pick the season, but if you have never seen Will and Grace before, I will catch you right up. While we enjoy a few episodes and maybe do a recipe exchange, I cannot wait to learn more about you!
littlechef 10 / 33  
Interesting essay. I do not see any errors. By focusing on baking alone, you truly demonstrate your character.

Good luck with the admissions!
OP rayban11 7 / 24  
littlechef, thank you for your comments! what do you mean by "by focusing on baking alone, you truly demonstrate your character"? do you mean that in a good way or a bad way? can you please be a little more specific. thanks again!
jstorm 4 / 8  
Hey! I think this is a really great essay, you convey you're character through your new love of baking- it serves as a good medium to showcase other qualities! Structurally its pretty sound, the essay gives me the feeling that you're someone who likes to try new things and is pretty low-key and easy to get along with, along with a very good chef! I don't think the point of the prompt is to tell every little nuance about you, but to give a little bit more of a picture. Good work!

if you get a chance, would you check out my stanford intellectually engaging idea?
OP rayban11 7 / 24  
please, i would really appreciate any advice. i promise i'll return the favor!
shquo 3 / 5  
I LOVELOVELOVE 90'S SITCOMS. So I really liked this! I've made some suggestions/comments/corrections in bold. One thing that stuck out to me: even though this is a somewhat informal essay, I would still avoid using contractions. Good luck! I hope this helps! Please read/correct my essay!! =)
OP rayban11 7 / 24  
thank you for advice. i agree with your comments, and i'm working on fixing them right now!

Home / Undergraduate / "two guilty pleasures: baking and 90's sitcoms" - roommate essay