UBC Personal Profile: What is important to me (Ikigai - a simple, but fulfilling philosophy)

humairak 1 / -  

Prompt: What is important to you? And why? (maximum 250 words)

As a teenager transitioning into adulthood, I had suffered from inferiority complex and perfectionism. I was always tenaciously pushing myself to achieve the high targets I had set for myself and was upset whenever I was not up to my own standards. Although for most it is more than enough to be grateful for, getting a 90 in tests was at times disappointing as it was not the perfect full marks I had envisioned to achieve. The extreme insatiable need to be excellent had resulted in self-deprecation, low self-esteem and on the worst cases, nervous breakdowns, even though I was outwardly deemed accomplished.

Acknowledging the toxicity of that mindset, I began to embark on a journey of searching for a sense of purpose. In the pursuit of it, I invest more time and energy in doing things that inspire patience, gratitude and mindfulness through reading, listening to talks and engaging in enriching communications, as a means of slowing down from the relentless chase of society's standard model of 'success'. Over time, I slowly learn to overcome the pessimism my mind was wallowing in return for gained self-assurance.

That being said, as I step into the second decade of my life, I place importance in my efforts practising the Japanese concept of ?Ikigai?: to lead a more minimalistic lifestyle yet rich in knowledge, strength and contentment; a simple, but fulfilling philosophy. I believe, these ideals are quintessential for me to evolve into a well-rounded and flourished adult in the long run.

I am trying to focus on the idea of living a simple but meaningful lifestyle. Is the idea too off-topic for a uni application? Your feedback is highly appreciated!
The last paragraph of this essay should really be the first paragraph because that is the direct response to the question posed by the prompt. The rest of the paragraphs should only help to explain why Ikigai is important to you. The only problem I see is that your explanatory part doesn't relate to Ikigai and relates more to perfectionism. Ikigai is all about being satisfied with one's life choices, not so much about one's dissatisfaction with your educational accomplishments. You can revise your response by writing paragraphs that will help explain this part from your essay in relation to Ikigai :In the pursuit of it, I invest more time and energy in doing things that inspire patience, gratitude and mindfulness" Go beyond academics and look at your life in totality. Satisfaction within your place in the family and society should be the focal point of your response.

Home / Undergraduate / UBC Personal Profile: What is important to me (Ikigai - a simple, but fulfilling philosophy)