UBC Personal Profile Unfamiliar Situation - Baseball Team Manager

navss 1 / 3  

Explain how you responded to a problem and/or an unfamiliar situation.

What did you do, what was the outcome, and what did you learn from the experience?

Please give feedback:)

My palms were sweaty before I even ventured into the field. I have always been a player, but for the first time, I was going to play in the background with a board in hand as I took the responsibility of a team manager for a sport I have never competed in before- baseball. As the manager for the Varsity Boys Baseball, I was in charge of updating the checklist for traveling documents, maintaining scorebooks, recording the players' performance, and managing equipment. While my job seemed appealing, it was quite hard for someone like me who couldn't even differentiate between a strike and a ball. I took the responsibility to challenge my skills and expand my horizon in a new field, but I didn't want to become a burden on my team while pursuing my endeavors. I watched youtube videos and talked to the teammates, practicing with them, to learn the game. With their constant help and support, I understood the importance of teamwork and improved my managing and communication skills. It helped me recognize the significance of relentless hard-work and how it can help you swing a home-run even in the most unacquainted things.
geetang 2 / 3 1  
@navss
You wrote a great essay but if you could expand on how taking on the managerial role helped you grow as a person, how the new skills you acquired helped you in other areas of life would make this essay much better.

To me it seemed you started with imagery(not sure) but i wouldn't recommend doing so in such a short essay.

Though i am new to this as well so take my advice with a grain of salt
OP navss 1 / 3  
@geetang
Thank you for the feedback. It really helps a lot!

Home / Undergraduate / UBC Personal Profile Unfamiliar Situation - Baseball Team Manager