UBC TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF ESSAY- "Passion over Comfort"

debs_141 1 / -  

TELL US ABOUT WHO YOU ARE.

HOW WOULD YOUR FAMILY, FRIENDS, AND/OR MEMBERS OF YOUR COMMUNITY DESCRIBE YOU? IF POSSIBLE, PLEASE INCLUDE SOMETHING ABOUT YOURSELF THAT YOU ARE MOST PROUD OF AND WHY. (MAXIMUM 1500 CHARACTERS)

By my family, I would be described as audacious, by my friends, I would be described as authentic and by my teachers, I would be described as adaptable. However, this has not always been the case.

As a primary school student, I was majorly focused on passing the humanities subjects in school and neglected mathematics because the content was difficult to grasp. As a result, my grades in mathematics suffered but I never chose to do anything about it. At the end of primary school, we were challenged with an exam that shows our readiness for secondary school and unsurprisingly, I aced the English section and flunked the math section woefully.

"When life is going too smoothly, you are likely to slip and fall." Prior to this awakening message from my mum, I was laidback and never saw the need to try and understand math. However, I decided to challenge myself and take the daunting step to dedicate two hours after school to studying math. Although it was challenging, I also applied this routine to all aspects of my education and as I progressed in high school, I balanced all my extracurricular activities with my schoolwork which made me a prime candidate for most competitions ranging from debate to STEM to sports.

Through engaging in volunteering and competitions, my teachers have recognized my inherent ability to create solutions in new experiences which resulted in them handing over responsibility to me as I was considered adaptable. Conversely, although I could be extremely playful to my friends, they always commend me for always being of help in their times of need. They also speak about how I was not afraid to pursue the task of improving in sciences and math as it is a prerequisite for my passion, Engineering. Additionally, they are extremely proud that I did not compromise who I am and what I want for my comfort.

@Holt please review this, thank you.
When stating how your family, friends, and community members would describe you, it would be insufficient for you to just use one sentence for each consideration. An explanation regarding the description would help showcase the character perception these people have of you. The more authentic the explanation, the more the reviewer may tend to believe your statement. Most specially if it will relate to that one thing that you are proud of about yourself.

It is not necessary to overextend the explanation of what you are most proud of. It should not occupy the majority if the presentation. Remember, you should only choose one thing that you are most proud of. This should relate back to the character discussion as based on how people describe you. This is the section where you explain one of your character traits that you feel you should be most proud of because it sums up all of the character observations the other people have about you.
summerarcadia 2 / 5  
I think your overall tone is pretty negative. You mention about being laid back and words such as flunk are way too negative. I know you are trying to say you have changed, but limit the parts that are about your downfalls

Home / Undergraduate / UBC TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF ESSAY- "Passion over Comfort"