UChicago "Guess The Third Thing Essay"

zeeluvia 1 / 1  
I just wrote it a while ago, but I guess it has negative tone in it... It's pretty long but I hope you read and give me feedback on how to revise this. THANKS SO MUCH! :)

PROMPT:
Spanish poet Antonio Machado wrote, 'Between living and dreaming there is a third thing. Guess it.' Give us your guess.

Do you ever feel like you're sick of the same routine? Tuesday is the same with Thursday, you push the gas of your car when the traffic lights turn to green, and the mailman delivers the same catalogues you never touch after you take them out from the mailbox? The life you live in has become an action replay, and you feel the future doesn't have sparks to color your life... Everything is too repetitive.

I felt that.

Don't get me wrong. No depression issues here. I enjoyed spending my evenings watching Discovery Channel with my parents, or television series with my sisters. I still hung out with friends on the weekends (sang karaoke, baked cookies, talked about recent news...you name it) . I sat in the front row of the class, was still curios on how to apply Calculus in my daily life (still loved it though), and was eager to hear the newest biological fact. Nevertheless, at times I felt at distant with the life I have.

What aroused this?

Most students in my school (comprises me) dream to get into the best university-that means to get accepted to well-known public university (expensive private university is not as prestigious). Why do they want to go to the best school? Of course, to get a decent job. A doctor, a lawyer, an architect... Common professions people aspire to be. Meanwhile, to become a nurse, a translator, even a teacher, were not on the top ten list. Why? Well, they're not as lucrative as the preceding professions, are they?

So... People live the way they live, because they have a dream to work at a certain job, and eventually lead a better life. Not everyone is on the same boat, but who doesn't want to have a life we consider better? Is it what 'life' really is? Does better life mean we don't have to worry about bills, a job in a field we love the most, a nice home with better views, go on vacation in the world's exotic places, healthiness all the time?

I don't agree.

Guess what, a stranger's friendly gesture lights up my day. I like to pass my English skill to kids at IHF shelter. When my friends ask me to translate a German word (since they call me 'walking German dictionary') I'm glad to help. I was thrilled to see a street kid's joy when he received a snack from my cousin. Having a sports car (not that I have one) or dreaming to be an entrepreneur can't beat the feeling of making someone's day better (or when someone else making your life better).

So what's the third thing after living and dreaming? That's sharing.
chipdip - / 12  
I really like this- simple, personal, and concise. I would elaborate more about the "sharing", and how it's the third thing, because I feel like you only explained this in the last paragraph? And watch the tense.
OP zeeluvia 1 / 1  
Thanks for the feedback!

@alexxisx
I used past tense because it happened in the past, while my conclusion is rather present... I'm still confused about that part so I think I'm going to revise it. And yeah, I thought because I don't come from US it kind of states the opposite situation with what happens in US. And I put IHF on the activity section but I think I shouldn't use abbreviation here.

@chipdip
Yes I think it's too brief. I just wrote it for fifteen minutes and that's all I got from now :)

Home / Undergraduate / UChicago "Guess The Third Thing Essay"