"I learned MAGIC!" Harvard/UChicago Essay "What makes you Happy?"

LordAli 3 / 6 2  
I need a little help with this essay. It is a supplementary essay for University of Chicago with a topic: What Makes You Happy? I am also thinking of using it in the Harvard Supplement under "Topic of my own". Please suggest if this is Harvard ready?

This is what I come up with. Please check it for any mistakes in its content or structure or grammar usage.
Thanks in advance.

"I learned MAGIC!"

This is what I told my friends who were gathered at my place, playing video games on PlayStation 4, two years ago. After hearing this, they stopped and stared at me like I had said something strange. One of them asked: "Magic with playing cards?" to which I replied "Yeah!". "Why don't you show us something", another remarked. I have been eagerly waiting for someone to say this. I brought out my deck of cards, shuffled it and handed it over to my friend. I asked him to cut it once and requested all five of them to pick one card from the top and memorize it. Then I demonstrated my abilities in the Magical Arts by accurately guessing every card. They were all astonished. Since that day, my friends think of me as some sort of supernatural human being capable of performing feats that are almost impossible to be comprehended by an ordinary brain.

I enjoy performing magic because it brings a smile to other people's faces. I first came across this form of art when I was watching random videos on YouTube and found a video of a magician performing onstage at America's Got Talent. I was amazed to watch him perform and my intellectual curiosity kicked in, urging me to google how he did it. A few clicks here and there and I found it! The Holy Grail! A website full of free videos dedicated to teaching Muggles (Non-Magic Folk) some really wonderful tricks. I got myself some playing cards and started practicing in my free time. Soon I was able to perform a variety of different tricks which enabled me to entertain and surprise my family and friends.

Curiosity is the wick in the candle of Learning and I feel blessed to have curiosity and intrigue about the world we live in. I am curious about Mathematics and Physics and I can regard my academic success to the inquisitiveness I possess. As a man of science, my intellectual curiosity motivates me to relate everything in my life with Mathematics. In case of magic tricks, there is a lot of science involved. For example, for the first trick that I showed my friends, I had to prepare the deck beforehand. I arranged them in a specific order that allowed me to calculate the value of a card by looking at a card placed before it but appeared random when I showed someone else. As long as I am employing the use of fake shuffles to make sure that the order is not disturbed, I can guess any card. Similarly, some tricks require the memorization of the positions of certain cards while others can simply be performed with deceit and distraction. By utilizing the rules of probability and statistics, math allows me to create tricks that have a profound effect on the spectators as it leaves them dazzled.

Performing tricks on someone and fooling them in front of their eyes gives me an odd type of satisfaction and other people seem to enjoy this too as long as they are on the receiving end. Most people do not consider magical arts a productive activity as opposed to athletics or music, and it's not like I don't partake in hobbies that are beneficial to the mind and body alike, but sometimes, we need a little 'different' in life. I believe that every grown person has a child inside of him/her. Our daily chores and stressful workloads have turned us into robots that are programmed to repeat their routines. A little magic now and then tends to wake up that playful kid who, for just a couple of minutes, forgets about all the worries and responsibilities and enjoy the trick that is being performed. That one moment, where I make the Big Reveal or use sleight of hand to conjure the impossible, that one moment where everyone enters the land of wonder and amazement, that one moment makes me happy.
lynzee22 - / 90 37  
Hello,
This is a very interesting essay and I think it will catch the reader's eye. Below are just a few ideas I thought might improve your writing.

One thing I would change is what you focus on. You focus a while on how you do the tricks, while I would put more emphasis on why this makes you happy. I think tying that idea in earlier and explaining it more will make the essay stronger. You could talk about how you like to make sense of the things around you and find the science behind the magic.

Also, I wouldn't make magic tricks sound so mystical. There is a lot of logic and reasoning behind how they work, and since you are talking about how you are a science-minded person, I would focus on that. I also don't think I would mention anything about muggles in a college entrance essay and magical arts should not be capitalized because it is not actually a course. I would re-phrase that sentence to make it sound more professional.

Overall, you are off to a good start. Good luck and I hope you do well!
TVLAERE 9 / 24 3  
@LordAli
You give yourself a very unique edge by talking about magic. Especially Uchicago will like this.
The topic is great, but you can make the story more vivid by using action.

eg.: "Look at your card, but don't show it to anyone. You know what, nevermind because I already know it's a Two of hearts."

"Huh... How?" It left my friend totally confused. He gives me an empty stare, but says nothing. Those kind of reactions are what makes me love doing tricks. Somehow, it gives me an odd type of satisfaction.....

It's not perfect, but you get the idea
Saad, this essay is not Harvard nor UChicago ready. There is too much focus on the activity of magic rather than on the personal connection you have with the activity. Since you are being asked to discuss what makes you happy, you should be focusing more on the intellectual, emotional, and social connection that magic brings you which makes you happy. It is not about the activity and how you prepare for it that brings happiness to you. Discuss how the activity allows you to experience a higher level of self fulfillment that brings a smile to your face. Think of the way the people you perform for react to your magic tricks or acts. How does that make you feel? Consider if you will, that the act of performing magic brings you joy and happiness. So how would you relate that to the reviewer in such a way that it delivers a deeper insight into your friendly character.

Home / Undergraduate / "I learned MAGIC!" Harvard/UChicago Essay "What makes you Happy?"