'Understanding myself through music' - UC Prompt #2

rockingthesea 3 / 13 1  
Piano= me= confidence and learning to express myself,

I have years of experience with the violin, flute, piano, and GuZheng, a 21 stringed instrument that represents my culture, but specifically, piano is the most important to me because it has been in my life for as long as I could remember, and it has become my ultimate passion. But as cliché as it sounds, music is my life. Music has helped me to understand myself and to create the person that I am today.

When I was eight years old, I was not one of those kids who enjoy being in the limelight or hammering away at piano keys. Contrary, I often refused to perform at recitals and during my piano lessons, I played so softly that my teacher often asked if I was afraid that I would hurt the piano. The truth was, I felt insecure and uncomfortable with expressing both the music and myself by performing the various dynamic signs, the abbreviations used to signify the music's volume. I was too timid. But things changed in 2004 when I began studying for the ABRSM exam (an international bench marked standard exam that tests for piano playing skills, comprehension of music theories and the ability to sight read and sight sing) almost every Saturday afternoon. I remember after I began preparing for the exam, my piano skills improved significantly because I was motivated to wanting to succeed. Ultimately, my improved piano skills increased my confidence and my ability to express the music and most importantly, myself.

Playing music is not just simply following all the printed dynamics and other musical elements; it requires the full interpretation of the piece in order to express the appropriate mood of the song.

And today, I am proud to say that I am not that timid girl that I once was. Through these many years of studying music and piano specifically, I have not only acquired musical knowledge but I have also enabled myself to do things that I was incapable of doing before. I am no longer hesitant to accept requests for stage performances because I now enjoy sharing my music with people. I want to use my music to connect with my audience and have them feel the mood of the music that I am playing. Stage fright is not an issue for me now. Playing music is not just simply following all the printed dynamics and other musical elements; it requires the full interpretation of the piece in order to express the appropriate mood of the song. After years of playing the piano I have accumulated more confidence and communication skills. Piano has taught me to release and express myself and enjoy everything that I do, because I know that with everything that I do, I will eventually benefit from it. My passion and persistent efforts for piano has helped me to grow as a person and to understand the importance of the ability of expression. In the spring of 2013, I will be taking Grade 8, the final exam. I am confident that I will pass the exam because I know I have acquired a sufficient amount of experience and knowledge that will allow me to perform well on this final exam.
WH123 2 / 4  
it's a well written essay, but your main point is not crystal clear. because it starts out like you are talking about the art of playing the piano as your main point, but near the end you talk about confidence being an essential characteristic to succeed life.but you can talk about one. On the whole its nice.
OP rockingthesea 3 / 13 1  
okay, thank you. i had a feeling that i was kind of losing my focus towards the end. which topic do you think i should keep? because i cant decide which is more important
WH123 2 / 4  
if i were you i'd work with the quality confidence, but it depends on what you are more comfortable talking about.
I played so softly that my teacher often asked if I was afraid that I would hurt the piano.

I think this is a strong sentence and has the potential to provide you with a catchy entrance to your essay. I would suggest you to start with this and first tell the admin committee about your timid personality. Then tell them although you had that problem, your passion for music was so strong and you could not resist the desire to learn music further and further. If you have some incident to reflect this idea include that too. Then tell them about your achievement, its importance to you as a person in building your confidence ... I think you write well and it just to put things together creatively to present an interesting piece of writing. After all you are a creative person. : )
OP rockingthesea 3 / 13 1  
thank you WH123 and dumi! i think youre suggestions are really helpful!! ill let you guys know when i have a second draft of this essay! thank you so much for helping me!

Home / Undergraduate / 'Understanding myself through music' - UC Prompt #2