Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Unfinish Spelman essay. Rough draft: "My first encounter with Psychology"

sweetharmony09 1 / -  
Writing prompt: Seeking knowledge and commitment to service are integral parts of the Spelman experience. Discuss and illustrate ways you have shown your commitment
in these areas.

(I only wrote about the seeking knowledge part)

My name is ________and I have an interesting phobia of centipedes", I exclaim in a shaky voice in front of my psychology class. Quickly trying to sit down, my teacher drew more attention to me by insisting for more details on my fear. 'You are scared of centipedes, really'? He asked. I tried my best explaining the tale of my older brother getting bitten by the many-legged insect, which caused his knees to swell."Ever since then, I'm petrifies of centipedes", I proclaimed. However, my new teacher just chuckle and informed that they don't bite and quite harmless. Being more comfortable, I continue to insist that my brother was bitten by the harmless creature, but is was to no prevail, my teacher stayed strong with his belief, and I finally sat down. Then the class proceeds sharing their names and neurotic tendencies or phobias, which spark many lengthy discussions, filled with comical anecdotes. At the end of the period, Psychology I had left a great first impression upon me. The course seems to hold many topics up its sleeves. As I walk down the crowed hallway to the grand courtyard for lunch, I felt grateful that I switch Art to Psychology in my student selection sheet. The subject was unfamiliar but I refuse to let it remain unknown before my completion of high school. My eager curiosity always finds a way to lead me into the right path, discovering new things. For instance, during freshmen year I decided to take French instead of Spanish as a foreign language class because French seemed more intriguing (c'est vrai, it is ) Also, my hunger for knowledge in a musical instrument drove me to chose Keyboard I because I always imagine myself fervently playing the piano conjuring melodic masterpieces in front of a large audience(unfortunately, I'm have not reach such level). Therefore, as usual my eagerness for knowledge cleverly stirred me to the subject of psychology, the study of human behavior and our intricate minds.

I can recall an interesting lesson in 4th period psych, when "what does life means to you" was written on the board in big distinct letters. My classmates and I stared at the question with blank faces, pondering about our response to such a general question. Mr. Paz calmly strolled in class, acknowledging our puzzled faces; commence the lesson, which he instructed us to explain what life means. Everyone in the class had their own philosophical interpretation of life. However, the main focus of assignment was to demonstrate the variety of perception amongst individuals. 'What one sees dictates ones perception the world' expressed Mr. Paz explaining that our eyes are the source of our reality. The lesson on perception unfolded more into depth, revealing variety of unknown theories and facts about the power of our minds and eyes.

Home / Undergraduate / Unfinish Spelman essay. Rough draft: "My first encounter with Psychology"