Values / Commitment to the community service; SWARTHMORE App/ Why Swarthmore?

bassamk90 1 / -  
Swarthmore College seems to be a college from my dreams. Swarthmore's commitment to the community service and global citizenry appeals to me, as does the college's quirky nature.

In everything Swarthmore and its students do, a sense of global implications as well as its effect on the community is evident. Swarthmore values global citizenship, which I admire greatly because I have traveled across the world and have seen sickening poverty. I appreciate the fact that Swatties are creative and innovative in their "need to work toward improving society" as Iqbal Quadir said in his commencement address last year. I think its important that we not only work to improve our own societies but those of others around the world, a principle I share with Swarthmore. The Lang Center is an excellent commitment to this mission. Swarthmore is not about making money, it is about affecting the world in a positive way, and that philosophy appeals to me.

On a lighter note I adore the quirkiness of Swatties. From talking about Doctor Who with my tour guide to reading about Swattie WWOOFing, Swarthmore is full of interesting people that I want to meet and a community that I want to contribute to. The annual pterodactyl hunt seems really interesting because social interaction is brought down to a tribal level as different groups to compete to win the coveted pizza gift certificate. Also, it seems like a bucket load of fun. The students' thirst for learning and openness to new ideas draws me to Swarthmore. When I went on my tour, the guide's intense interest in what he majored was unmatched by any college student I have met.

The fact that global stewardship as well as community service are core to Swarthmore in addition to the nature of the students invites me to join Swarthmore's community. I hope to join this inquisitive bunch next fall.
Shoko0229 4 / 14 3  
I think you should be more specific. Yours is like a college catalog now---just listing Swarthmore's unique points. It actually shows that you've done research about it, but that's all. It doesn't show you are a good fit to it. What one (or two at most) point(s) about Swarthmore appeals to you the MOST? Why is it so fascinating to you?
JessDoIt 3 / 5  
Needs a stronger concluding paragraph...possibly include more intellectual aspects of swarthmore? I hear colleges like that.
Lord_Rustem 2 / 5  
PLEASE HELP HELP HELP with theme "Please describe your idea of a Global Citizen? What are the qualities that make a good Global Citizen? Who is an example of a good Global Citizen? What is one of his/her traits that you admire? Please provide an example of when you have demonstrated a quality of a Global Citizen. How have you used your skills as a Global Citizen to benefit your community?"

Home / Undergraduate / Values / Commitment to the community service; SWARTHMORE App/ Why Swarthmore?