Waterloo AIF - Goals and interests in the Global Business and Digital Arts

milk 1 / 1 1  
Any editing help is appreciated.

aims of study and why GBDA

Please tell us about your educational goals, your interest in your chosen program(s), and your reasons for applying to the University of Waterloo. If you have applied to more than one program please discuss your interest in each program. (900 character limit)

My ultimate educational goal is to attend law school and become a certified attorney, though I believe a good undergraduate program is essential in building a solid foundation for any future endeavors. The School of Planning would allow me to utilize critical thinking skills to solve a variety of problems in unique ways, similarly to how one would in the law profession. It has also always been a dream of mine to work in digital media, particularly video. The chance GBDA provides to do not only just that, but to also apply those skills in a business context is an amazing opportunity. I have applied to Waterloo primarily due to the plethora of work experience opportunities that the school offers for my chosen fields. Companies nowadays value actual work experience above all else, and the extensive tools WaterlooWorks provides in this regard is simply unmatched by any other school.

Briefly explain why you are interested in the Global Business and Digital Arts
program. Comment, for example, on your interests and abilities; your career goals; exposure to digital media through school-related and other experiences; and discussions you have had with teachers, current or past Waterloo students. (900 character limit).

Ever since I watched my first film, the unique ways digital media is able to convey messages, feelings, and even emotion has fascinated me. Throughout my life I have striven to replicate such experiences in my own work, with video production, photography, and graphic design all having developed into great passions of mine. Having friends also interested in media pushed me even further down this path, and growing up with cousins in similar fields no doubt played a role in this as well (one studies animation, another studies CS at Waterloo). However, there has always been something preventing me from following fully in their footsteps- job security, and the questionable applicability of media-focused studies in a business-centric world. GBDA is the solution that I have been looking for- a program that allows me to connect my passions with the business skills to survive in today's society.
coffeetoffee 1 / 3  
Wow, I feel like your writing is amazing! Still waiting for other comments to come in, but I could really see how your passion for film and your experiences led to you deciding to pursue this course.

Is the part about you eventually wanting to pursue law really necessary? If it isn't I think you can remove that, otherwise theres also the question of how the end of your second writeup would link with becoming a lawyer.
Joshua, in the first question, remove the reference to "attorney, though". Use a period after attorney and then begin the next sentence with "I believe a good undergraduate...". When you have the word "though" separated by a comma from a previous thought, you are indicating an oppositional statement is coming up. You did not make an opposing statement in the continued discussion therefore, "though" should not be in the sentence. Also, avoid saying "will help" or "would allow" but rather indicate an affirmative voice such as "shall develop" and "allows me to" instead. Talk in present tense formation because this is what you know you want to experience and say.

For the second question, since you are being encouraged to discuss the discussions you have had with current and past Waterloo students, you should definitely mention the full names of your friends and cousins who attend Waterloo so that they may serve as a reference of some sort in your response. Make sure to highlight what they say is positive about Waterloo and the unique experience and perspective that you develop as a student in the school.

Home / Undergraduate / Waterloo AIF - Goals and interests in the Global Business and Digital Arts