[WATERLOO AIF] Engineering interests and goals

hanlus 2 / 3 1  
Engineering Interests and Goals (*Required)

Response:

My father is an engineer who is happy with his career. My dream is to become an engineer because I want to follow in my father's footsteps. However, at one point in my life I abandoned my dream of engineering. After a few physics courses I realized that I simply could not create things that worked properly. However, my eleventh grade physics teacher told me one day that most engineers only fixed what was broken. Suddenly, I had hope again; I am fantastic at fixing things. My interests in chemistry and physics naturally gravitated me towards a career in chemical engineering. Although I am clumsy with wires and magnets, I am extremely proficient in the lab. Working with chemicals, doing titrations, and synthesizing compounds only seems natural to me. I know that entering the chemical engineering program at Waterloo is vital in helping me achieve my dream and lifelong happiness. (12 characters remaining)

so... is it okay??? please help edit & improve :--)
helloimyellow 9 / 25 3  
Overall, this essay gets the point across. However it seems a little unfocused. Try to address all aspects of the prompt and really answering the "Why Waterloo?" question it is posing. I might suggest to take out the first two lines (My father is an engineer who is happy with his career. My dream is to become an engineer because I want to follow in my father's footsteps. ) because it really doesn't say a whole lot about YOU and 900 characters can be a tight squeeze. Instead, see if you can use those characters to really pinpoint your individual goals and how Waterloo can fulfill them. Just a suggestion!

I would also be careful with the line "However, my eleventh grade physics teacher told me one day that most engineers only fixed what was broken" . I am also applying for engineering and would disagree with the idea that engineering only involves fixing what is broken... If so, who are the ones creating new things? :)

I hope my input helped a tiny bit and good luck with all your college apps!

Home / Undergraduate / [WATERLOO AIF] Engineering interests and goals