"Women and Gender Roles in Horror Media" -Notre Dame short essay answer

snoipah 1 / -  
Hi! I'm looking for a few second opinions on my answer to this question on the Notre Dame Common App Supplement. My parents don't want me to send it in because they're afraid it isn't outward-focused enough (ie, it's not about solving a huge social problem or deworming orphans in Somalia), but I think it's an original idea that would give admissions officers a good idea of my interests and focuses as a person. Thoughts?

3. The curriculum offered at Notre Dame varies from what you might expect (e.g. Introduction to Biological Sciences, Accountancy) to topics you might not (e.g. Theology and Engineering, Friendship: From Aristotle to Facebook). If you could introduce a new course and serve as the expert instructor, what would it be and why?

The course I would most like to introduce at Notre Dame would be Fear and Femininity: Women and Gender Roles in Horror Media. Although horror is by far my favorite genre - not just of literature, but also of film and video games - its treatment of women is often problematic, highlighting cultural stereotypes of female vulnerability and sexuality. By discussing common tropes, such as the young teenage girl being stalked and harassed by a predatory male figure, contrasting them with more progressive portrayals of women in the genre, and critically examining current trends in horror media (particularly the resurgence of gory exploitation films such as Hostel and I Spit on Your Grave), I believe that this course would appeal to a wide variety of interests and help students become more aware of the broader social implications of their "popcorn" entertainment.
alexis brandon 17 / 44  
I like it and it appeals to me not sure about what the admission officers would think as I'm not one. Though I might suggest you have a hook in the beginning rather than stating the course as I'm sure many of the people answering this prompt will begin with this course or the course. I begin mine the same way for my first draft as well and someone gave me this advise.

though I do suggest a different movie title other than I spit on your grave, just saying.
I love the ending

By discussing common tropes, such as the young teenage girl being stalked and harassed by a predatory male figure, contrasting them with more progressive portrayals of women in the genre, and critically examining current trends in horror media (particularly the resurgence of gory exploitation films such as Hostel and I Spit on Your Grave), I believe that this course would appeal to a wide variety of interests and help students become more aware of the broader social implications of their "popcorn" entertainment.

This is a long sentence you might want to think about breaking it up a bit.
Please read mine it's called: Times have changed
Thank you
miss_anthropic 4 / 6  
I think this is awesome. It is very original and reveals a lot about what you're like. I don't know what your parents are worried about, gender roles are a huge social issue. The fact that you're discussing them in the rather informal context of horror movies doesn't diminish their importance, plus it's appealing to college kids.

The last sentence seems a little long, but it's not a huge deal because the "flow" is still there. But I tend toward long sentences as well... So yeah, it might not kill you to chop it up into two, because there's a lot to keep track of.
nritya 6 / 22  
I really like it! I got a very strong idea of your though process and came away thinking you were a smart, thoughtful and critical thinker. Its the best of the NotreDame supplements I've seen on this website.

look over my Brown supplement?
Anonymoussenior 17 / 133  
I like the last sentence but I think you could make the first sentence pop more to drag in the reader.
Good essay.

Please read my Notre Dame response to this question.

Home / Undergraduate / "Women and Gender Roles in Horror Media" -Notre Dame short essay answer