IELTS Task 2 - Should we abandon our convenient lifestyle?

rubychautran 10 / 27 7  

sacrifice for the sake of future generations

Question: The key to solving environmental problems is for the present generation to sacrifice their convenient lifestyle for the sake of future generations. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

The modern lifestyle presents to humans unprecedented convenience. There is an idea, however, that such convenience comes at the expense of the environment and our own descendants' benefits, and that therefore, it should be reduced or abandoned. Personally, I agree with this idea and this essay will clarify my view.

Firstly, a large proportion of the daily convenience today's generation enjoys has detrimental impacts on the environment, and is easily replaceable. Taking for instance the use of air transport, it can be clearly seen that one airplane trip releases tons of carbon dioxide, many times more than a road journey over the same distance does. In many cases, the convenience of air travel prevails the interests of the environment, and travellers opt for an airplane trip instead of a 2-hour drive. The use of air-conditioning showcases a similar pattern: oftentimes the much more energy consuming air conditioners are chosen instead of fans that would be just as efficient in an acceptable temperature. These examples prove that in several circumstances, negative impacts to the environment can be avoided if only humans opt for a slightly less convenient way of living.

Secondly, the sacrifice of modern convenience may lead to the reduction of industrial pollution, which is a major culprit to environmental problems. Industries whose products serve the modern life of humans, namely the energy industry, produce huge amounts of polluting gases and waste material everyday, and consume a large proportion of natural resources. These industries thrive on the demand of extravagant convenience of humans. Therefore, should such demand be reduced, then there is a high chance that harmful impacts of these industries on the environment will be minimized.

In conclusion, the modern lifestyle encompasses several types of unnecessary convenience. Therefore, the interests of the environment and future generations could be served with changes in people's daily habits. Such changes, as a result, will also lead to the reduction of industrial impacts on the environment. (325 words)
jalp 13 / 34 7  
You have made a good point in explaining your reasons why abandoning current lifestyle is needed for the future. You are also good in grammar and vocabulary. However, I believe, the task is to explain the 'extent' of your agreement, which did not show in your conclusion. That can lower your grade in the TF department.

Hope that helps.
OP rubychautran 10 / 27 7  
Oh I didn't realize we had to address that in the conclusion as well. Thank you!

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Task 2 - Should we abandon our convenient lifestyle?