WRITING TASK 2: Do you agree or disagree that following news is a waste of time?

selenakieu 4 / 14 1  
Some people think news has no connection to people's lives. Therefore, it is a waste of time to read the newspaper and watch TV news programs.

To what extent, do you agree or disagree?

There is an upward trend that individuals believe that the news is unrealistic. Accordingly, reading the newspaper and watching news programs are unnecessary. In my opinion, I moderately disagree with this statement according to a number of reasons which I will mention in this essay.

To start with, more citizens are likely to neglect crucial news since tabloids are rampant in the market. Indeed, it can be seen obviously that digital news is created to attract readers' attention. A myriad of online news is written with attractive titles, and some are fake. Moreover, individuals have never undergone the same situation which they have approached on the news; therefore, they tend to believe that taking time to follow the news is wasteful. Undoubtedly, it is a dangerous tendency since people can easily be lured into social scammers.

On the contrary, I argue that keeping up with the latest news both digital and paper forms is inevitable for each individual. Without a doubt, news which is broadcasted on television or newspaper is a means of media for numerous people to keep up to date with domestic and international events. Subsequently, watching television programs will provide viewers with useful knowledge to avoid fraud and other forms of breaking laws. For instance, a widely popular online news site named "The New York Times", which does not also bring readers to events on a global scale but also consists of helpful social knowledge.

To sum up, many consider that they will not be capable of connecting with the news both online and on paper. In consequence, spending time watching the news or reading it on paper is a waste of time. In this essay, I argued why I disagree with this statement due to the necessity of understanding social events and preventing being tricked.
The prompt restatement is not related to the original prompt. It has taken on a life of its own by indicating an upward trend (a task 1 requirement) and unrealistic news ( different from not having a connection to people's lives). The prompt restatement, since it is not connected to the original topic, will receive a failing restatement score. Now, why the opinion is properly presented, the lack of thesis statement or the summary of reasons for your opinion is not present. Thus, the opinion is not completely summarized for the reader to consider. This will weaken your writer's opinion score as well.

Reading the overall essay, I would have to say that the score for this overall will be a failing one, specially in the final TA scoring consideration since the topic discussed is off the mark. The focus should be on the connection of news to people's lives. Your discussion concept was based on unrealistic and fake news. Due to the lack of relevant discussion, this essay will receive minimal markings for the remaining scoring sections, but will definitely not receive a passing mark in an actual test setting.

You must make sure that your discussion is aligned with and related to the original prompt, no changes, at all times. It is clear that you have misunderstood the prompt topic and discussion requirements.
OP selenakieu 4 / 14 1  
Thanks for your help!

Home / Writing Feedback / WRITING TASK 2: Do you agree or disagree that following news is a waste of time?