Do you agree or disagree that progress is always good?

pier 11 / 37 9  
Do you agree or disagree that progress is always good? Use specific reasons
and examples to support your answer.

Change is an inherent element of this world and development is one way to change. However, I disagree that unbiased progression is always pleasant. In this essay, I provide several reasons and examples of situations where moving forward is not always good.

An advance in diseases is not welcomed. For example, in recent years the influenza virus has evolved and become more powerful. This progress means that more people are going to be infected. Therefore, healthcare systems should spend more budget on public health. As a result, instead of spending taxes on developing schools and education system, we have to put it on preventing a cold outbreak. Besides, such progression can also endanger elder population and infants lives too. Since their body defense system is either weak or not developed enough.

Similarly, technological advances can also be unpleasant. Consider, for instance, the development of the Atomic bomb. This progress in science brought several casualties to human society. Not also it caused the death of millions of people in Japan, but also no one knows if it will be the cause of millions of death in the future. Another example of problems caused by this development in science is the incident happened in Chernobyl reactor. It supposed to bring inexpensive energy to the population but it only brought casualty and made the region uninhabitable. While people could use their old energy resources that nature presented to them.

These examples of progress in human history convinced me to disagree with the statement that development is always good. Progress can burden taxpayers, endanger infant and senior citizens, and it might also stimulate loss of human's lives.

[274]
aundraj 1 / 2  
Progress can burden taxpayers, endanger the lives of infants and senior citizens, and cause loss of human's lives.
Behzab did you provide the complete and original prompt for our consideration? Somehow, the prompt feels like it is a short version of the long original prompt. Always provide us with the long version of the original prompt because that is the best way that we can assess and assist you with the development of your writing skills. Right now, I can see that you have a good grasp of the topic provided for the discussion but you are not really well versed enough to realize the intricacies of the essay topic. That is why you made a crucial mistake in your second paragraph.

You discussed the progression of an illness and how it affects people when what you should have been discussing is the benefit of progressive scientific discoveries in the pursuit of a cure for the illness. The illness is bad, the result of the progressive study about the virus, is good. So that is not the right example to use in this essay. You could have just used the third paragraph as your second paragraph and had a better result for your overall score.

Remember, as long as you write a minimum of 4 paragraphs, properly developed and related to the discussion, you will receive a pretty decent overall score. When you write more with one paragraph misdirected, you adversely affect your final score as well. Always be careful and consider what the prompt is asking you really write about before you even begin to draft the essay.
OP pier 11 / 37 9  
@Holt Thanks a lot for your insights. About the prompt, yes it is exactly as it is in the ets book.
In the second paragraph, Maybe I should have written: "A mutation in germs is not welcomed".
My understanding from prompt was that "is progression a good thing in any situation?" This prompt seems kind of an abstract topic to me.
I continue to make these better and as you said I will go for more paragraphs. If you have noticed I have a problem in agree/disagree prompts. That is why I have focusing on these kinds. Your comments about my other prompt were less concerned about my understanding of prompt. Thank you again.
nemezidus 5 / 13 7  
Behzab, hi!

1. Your introduction is good and well-presented.

2. I feel that your first paragraph is not related to the prompt. I agree with Holt on this. The questions wants you to discuss on the drawbacks (if any) of the scientific or technological progress. One example I thought of might be a rapid development of internet and communication technologies. Advance in these areas made people prefer online chatting over live discussion and undermined the ability to express genuine emotions by replacing them with smiles and stickers. [this would be an example from a social standpoint].

3. You third paragraph is great both from an idea and content perspective.

4. In the conclusion, you should not introduce new ideas (which you did not) but the overall mood of the conclusion is too generalist. I would recommend to craft more based on your observations. Something like "As discussed in the essay, progress in certain areas/fields such as communications and warfare [not all] may have both positive and negative effects.'

5. There are some grammatical errors and misspellings.

6. Your essay in the present is a decent one. To make it even better, I recommend to learn using more complex subordinate structures (comparison, cause-consequence,contrast etc).

Hope you find this helpful.
OP pier 11 / 37 9  
Thank you Adil, your examples and recommendations are very helpful.

Home / Writing Feedback / Do you agree or disagree that progress is always good?