GRE argument "Of the two leading real estate firms in our town- ...

chenokay 1 / 1  
The following appeared in a letter from a homeowner to a friend.

Adams Realty Firm

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

The author made a conclusion that you should use Adams Realty, if you want to sell your home quickly and at a good price by regarding a few superficial statistic data and own experience as evidence. However, it is a questionable conclusion result from what are unrelated and arbitrary.

First of all, the author tell us Adams Realty has 40 real estate agents, which are 15 more than Fitch's, and Adams Realty is clearly superior. It can imply its revenue by describing scope, but not the service quality to individual home seller. It would be a better evidence if the author can give us a large rate of satisfaction of a representative group. There are two number of average price, which are used to show Adams' higher price by the author. But they are not comparable since their different scopes and different business operation and they only imply Adams higher profit.

The author gives a example of own experience which Adams is more faster since it last four months and one month by listing home with Fitch and Adams at ten years ago and one year ago. There are two weaken points to the example, one is the time and other is the random case which is not representative. The advice the author give friends is now but not ten years ago when the author use Fitch. Maybe Fitch has changed to be faster, even faster than Adams. In fact the experience of last year to Adams is also not in time, one year can occur all kinds things to Adams to change. Moreover, the author's two sales of home are so random and can't show the status nowadays. The experience of ten year ago may be bad case of Fitch and the one of last year may be author's good luck. And the sale time of a home are the result of all factors, season, economy and region.

Though the author give out some clues to show the price and sale time of a home to Adams and Fitch, it need more power evidence to support the conclusion that Adams is better in price and sale time. The author should make more survey with correct time and place, representative surveying group and proper indicator corresponding the conclusion given.
sicong 1 / 2  
Hey, I just cross by this response, I think you may want to pay more attention to the last part of the prompt, which is the instructions of what this argu topic is looking for, in your case, would be asking for "weak assumptions" and specifically asking for the response to consider the drawback of the unconvincing assumptions. So better to add some conclusions for each paragraph, to clarify what impact on conclusion will be given the unsubstantiated assumptions. Giving you an example, looking at the 6 score sample response on ets-- similar instructions:

"Citing surveys of city residents, the author reports ,.... We just do not know. Unless the survey is fully representative, valid, and reliable, it can not be used to effectively back the author's argument."

----Good luck
OP chenokay 1 / 1  
Thank you for your advice.
Yes, I should come to for each paragraph a conclusion how the assumption will affect the argument and grasp the weak point, having a
important effect on the argument, to clarify the assumption to argument map in all rounds.
tank you again.

Home / Writing Feedback / GRE argument "Of the two leading real estate firms in our town- ...