Home / Writing Feedback   % width   Posts: 4

Ielts writing task 1: average CO2 emissions per person in the UK, Sweden, Italy, Portugal

kvpa915gstn 1 / -  
Question: The graph below shows average carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions per person in the United Kingdom, Sweden, Italy and Portugal between 1967 and 2007. Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.

The line graph illustrates the amount of carbon dioxide (CO2) emitted per person in four countries from 1967 to 2007.

Overall, there was a decline in the average CO2 emissions per person in the UK and Sweden, while a rise was seen in Italy and Portugal. In addition, the United Kingdom generally had the highest figures throughout the period.

The amount of CO2 produced per person in the UK started at close to 11 metric tonnes (mt), after which it experienced a steady decrease to 10 in 1987, before ending the period at around 9 mt. Meanwhile, the figure for Sweden in 1967 was roughly 9 mt, followed by a significant increase to just over 10 mt in 1977, and a final drop to about 5,5 30 years later.

Approximately 4 mt was emitted by an average person in Italy in 1967, with an increase to about 8 mt in 1997 and remained relatively unchanged until 2007. Similarly, Portugal's figure saw a considerable growth of around 4,5 mt between 1967 and 1997 and remained at roughly 5,5 mt until 2007.

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15169 4859  
There is a missing piece of information in your summary overview. The second sentence should have indicated that the measurements used were in metric tonnes. Remember that the summary overview must have at least 2 sentences, covering at least 40 words, in order to qualify for task accuracy scoring without deductions. When the summary overview is incomplete, the trending statement score will also be affected since that is part of the TA scoring You should not use the measurement reference in the body without first introducing it to the reader in the summary overview or trending statement.

The reporting paragraphs will not be given complete scores in the GRA and C+C section either. That is because there is a minimum 3 sentence presentation requirement for the analytical portion of the essay. Your inability to separate your presentation into individual idea sentences was what led to this sentence count error. Unfortunately, the essay is good, but not good enough for a passing score at this point. There are too many TA, GRA, and C+C problems existing in this presentation.
markzily - / 8  
The graph shows changes in average CO2 emissions per person in the UK, Sweden, Italy, and Portugal from 1967 to 2007.

Initially, the UK had the highest emissions at nearly 11 mt, declining to around 9 mt by 2007. Sweden started at about 9 mt, peaked above 10 mt in 1977, then dropped to about 5.5 mt by 2007.

Italy began at 4 mt, rose to 8 mt by 1997, and stayed steady thereafter. Portugal began around 4.5 mt, increased to 9 mt by 1997, and leveled off at about 5.5 mt from 2007.

Throughout, the UK consistently had the highest emissions, while Sweden saw a significant peak and decline. Italy and Portugal showed steady increases followed by stability in later years.
ngocquyen 2 / 2  
The overall essay is good, but I recommend you compare the data of the countries rather than just stating the number and describe a country in a sentence.

Home / Writing Feedback / Ielts writing task 1: average CO2 emissions per person in the UK, Sweden, Italy, Portugal
Need help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: