"Back In the Game" - essay on finding forrester

dens420 1 / 6  
hello, im am suppost to write an essay on the movie finding forrester, specificaly the factors in the growth of william forrester .. 3 pages...here is what i have so far... any feed back would help and will be greatly appreciated

Back In the Game

"You got to know the rules if you want to play the game" William Forrester knew the rules but he avoided playing the game. After winning the Pulitzer Prize for writing he became reclusive and was never heard from again. Although William decided after writing the greatest novel in the twentieth century that he would isolate himself from the outside world, a series of events and the development of a friendship with Jamal Wallace, an aspiring writer, would give William a new perspective on life. In the movie Finding Forrester William Forrester would have never been capable of confronting his fears or reconnecting with the world if not for his friendship with Jamal and the factors that brought about his change.

There were many factors that brought about a change in William Forrester. All of which are a direct result of his fateful friendship with Jamal. The odds that two talented writers would meet in the manner in which they did are unfathomable. Not only is it unfathomable but it is a friendship that has brought much growth to the both of them. For William this friendship was a catalyst to the other factors that play a major part in his growth. Having someone to talk to, realizing he could trust someone, going to Yankee Stadium, realizing the importance of friendship, seeing life in a new perspective and standing up for what he believes in were all factors that resulted in his growth and would not have came without this friendship.

In addition to his friendship with Jamal, having someone to talk to changed William. Instead of being locked up in isolation he was able to talk and be more human. Jamal's company came as a bit of a surprise but William is a smart man and knew that by making those editing notes that Jamal would be back. Did he want the company? Perhaps but he had no idea that it would result in a drastic change in his life. Having someone to talk to brought more positive feelings and thinking and developed in to rich friendship with Jamal.

William soon realized he could trust Jamal and this was another factor in his growth. He trusted Jamal not to say anything about him to anyone. He trusted him by just letting him in his apartment which shows that perhaps at this point he has already changed his view on life. Jamal was an outsider and the fact that he was a writer made him easier to trust. This trust and friendship led him to take a huge step by going to a basketball game with Jamal, after which Jamal took him to the field of Yankee stadium. Jamal wanted to give him a different perspective on something that William had already seen and that is when William finally opened up. He trusted Jamal and he told him some personal things about himself. It was a huge turning point for William. William said it was the best time he had in years, a sign that he wants a change perhaps.

William took huge steps toward a new look on life but he was not ready for what his friendship with Jamal would bring. William watched Jamal's championship game as it came down to the wire. Down by one point, William watched as Jamal missed both free throws and lost the game. Right then William came to the realization that he had to be a man and stand up for Jamal, and he could not do it from his apartment. He went to his window and cleaned it up; this must be symbolization that he was changing his view on life. He pumped up the tires on his bike and went out for a ride. He looked happy as he rode his bike that night, his mind was clear. Friendship was the only reason he came out of that apartment. He knew that having lost the championship Jamal's neck was on the chopping block. Forrester decided he wasn't going to let them do that to Jamal.

When Forrester decided to stand up for what he believes in, it changed his life. Forrester believed in Jamal, he believed in friendship and he believed in integrity. He knew there was no choice but to set aside his fears and anxieties that he had been holding on to for so long and follow his heart. Friendship and trust is a two-way street the give and take of it meant it was his turn to give. Had he not done what he did that day the friendship between these two most likely would have been over and, if not it would have been badly tarnished. Forrester did not want it to end and more importantly he did not want Jamal to stop writing. The day that he stepped out to help someone else he inadvertently ended up helping himself. All his fears vanished and he gained a new look on life which eventually led him to publish a second book that he would ask Jamal to write the forward of.

The friendship between Jamal and Forrester seemingly turned into a whirlwind that swept both characters up and changed their lives forever. For William he may have died alone in his apartment if not for meeting and developing a friendship with Jamal Wallace. The fact that fate brought these two talented people together in to order help them attain their dreams cannot be ignored. Sometimes there are things which we cannot control like the way William and Jamal's friendship took control of them and reshaped their lives. Accordingly, all the factors that played a part in Forrester's growth were ultimately due to said friendship. We can all learn from this story, and it can mean something different to all of us depending on our perspective. All things considered it was the winds of William and Jamal's friendship that pushed William to get back in the game.

1.is my thesis clear??
2.does the essay follow the thesis??
3.does the conclusion match what the essay has said??
This is an excellent summary of the movie. You have some analysis in there, but it is still mostly a summary, and, howsoever excellent, that is a problem, because your teacher has probably already seen it, and doesn't need you to recap. So, I would suggest you focus less on simply telling what happened in the movie, and more on explaining the significance of events.
OP dens420 1 / 6  
this is very difficult for me, thank you for your insight, i will work on trying to explain the significance of the events
Better. I especially like your second paragraph and your conclusion. It is difficult for me to give much more advice on this at the moment, as I haven't watched the movie in a very long time, but you seem to be on the right track. Perhaps some of our other contributors will turn out to be more familiar with the film . . .
OP dens420 1 / 6  
thanks for the feed back

Home / Writing Feedback / "Back In the Game" - essay on finding forrester