IELTS Writing Task 1: Bar graph - the population of Iceland between 1990 and 2020

dangngoctung4 4 / 7 1  
The graph gives information about the age of the population of Iceland between 1990 and 2020.

The bar chart illustrates information about Iceland's population from 1990 to 2020.

Overall, it is obvious that the 25-to-54 age category increased and dominated for a decade, while the two younger groups experienced the opposite. The two older groups stayed nearly the same over the period.

In detail, the middle-aged was about 31% in 1990 and plummeted to nearly half of the population in the last year of the period.
In contrast, the youngest group started at about 26% in 1990, before falling gradually to slightly below 20% in 2020. The same trend can be seen in the adolescent group, which began about one-fifth in 1990 and approximately 8% in 2020 with the domination of the former group over the period.

The two older groups did not change too much throughout the decade. Those aged from 55 to 64 were about 14% in 1990, followed by a fluctuation in the next 20 years before possessing one-tenth of the population in the last year. Similarly, the oldest group with the commencement of about 12% in 1990 and 14% in the previous year of the period.

Thank you for your feedback!

it is obvious

You are making an assumption that the reader can actually see the bar graph. That is not the case. Do not use any references that would make the reader feel dumbed down or have unrealistic expectations of the report. Perhaps you can simply state the trend next time.

the two younger groups

To complete the summary overview, always state the given information in short form. In this case, what were the other 2 age groups represented?

This seems to be the main problem in your presentation. You are good at analyzing the information, but not at providing the foundation of the details. You have to make sure that you always present the data from the graph rather than just general references.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Writing Task 1: Bar graph - the population of Iceland between 1990 and 2020