E-books vs traditional books-IELTS Writing Task 2

IELTSAlt 1 / -  
Task:
In recent years, more and more people are choosing to read e-books rather than paper books.

Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages of this trend?

My work:

Due to the development of technology in recent decades, various features of life we have been taking for granted are now under serious overhaul to adapt to the growing wave of technology and electronics. From the transportation of classrooms to the virtual realm, the development of many communication technologies from letter and radio waves to emails and chatting applications, and similarly, the rising dominance of e-books and the assumed decline of its predecessor, old plain paper books, as more and more people participate in this growing wave. Many people believe this can have many positive impacts on the reading community, while others think the negativity of this trend is irrefutable. Personally speaking, while I agree with the latter statement, the advantages of e-books should not be overlooked.

First and foremost, it is undeniably true that the compelling nature of e-books is indisputable, as demonstrated by their growing popularity due to the apparent convenience they allow. E-reading permits the readers to access the contents of the book at any moment they prefer because of the development of the gadgets they are stored in, improving their accessible nature. In addition to that, the cost of e-books is often cheaper than their physical counterparts, on account of the need for production, premises, maintenance, packaging and delivery, employees, and on and forth, all of which become oblivious to the virtual realm. The benefit is undoubtedly substantial for both parties involved as the price goes down, further aiding the reading community.

Nonetheless, one critical disadvantage of electronic books is the lack of physical experience displayed in the traditional variant. The tactile feeling and the smell of paper and ink from a new, fresh copy are a prominent part of the turning pages experience for many people, encouraging them to continue their walkthrough through the book, an effect online copy cannot provide. Additionally, continuous exposure to technological devices can have detrimental effects on the health of the users. Research has shown the signal waves and lights electronics emit can damage the eyes or negatively affect the neurological functions of the brain, as exhibited in a study in Ireland, as the researchers observed the connection between children with eye problems and their usage of tablets to read e-books.

In conclusion, even though the advantages delivered to e-readers cannot be refuted, the possible consequences and the insufficiency of technological copies in their abilities to satisfy consumers overshadowed them. Although the momentum of e-books is unlikely to halt, it is improbable for e-books to replace their traditional equivalents.
You are focusing so much on increasing your word count that you failed to realize that you were mostly deviating from the original prompt topic that was presented throughout your essay. You have fallen into the trap of turning the Task 2 essay into a vocabulary exercise rather than a simple everyday discussion of a given topic. Your prompt restatement + writer's opinion paragraph took so long to get to the original point that you totally went off topic and almost failed to bring the paragraph back into alignment. Your writer's opinion seemed to be veering off track as well, before you finally came around to answering the question. Rest assured, this paragraph will result in a failing TA preliminary score for your presentation.

This is the biggest problem that the essay suffers from. You must learn to impart your opinion quickly, within 5 sentences only. Otherwise, you will write the length of a research paper, and fail to finish the writing task that only allows 40 minutes for completion.
AntherRR 1 / 4  
While your range of vocabulary and linguistic resources is certainly impressive, I think your word count is relatively high which can hinder your performance if you want to finish it in under 40 minutes. Your introduction is also rather complicated and off-topic as well, so maybe you should consider shortening it. Possibly by deleting this prompt "From the transportation...chatting applications" and simply getting into the topic, probably something like "One of such instant is the rise of..."?

Both of your supporting paragraphs are too long as well, even though you only have around 4 sentences per paragraph, so I think you should filter unnecessary words to lower the average sentence length or just focus on 1 idea in each part.
dtun_hi 2 / 2  
Well, I think that you should pay your attention to your opinion rather than your vocab, but I consider your vocabs are really good!
huyenanhmcqn 2 / 2  
you have good lexical resources but I think there should be a clear topic sentence for a paragraph. For example, you should say that " there are many disadvantages of e-books compared to traditional books" and then continue to elaborate more about 2 disadvantages of e-books. This can help readers know what you are intent on writing in a paragraph. One suggestion is that the introduction shouldn't be too long and it's better that you answer the question " Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages of this trend?" in the introductory part because that is what's required; it doesn't ask " to what extent do you agree or disagree?"
selenakieu 4 / 14 1  
Hi @IELTSAlt
I think you should reduce the number of words in your essay by following this structure for your introduction:
- Sentence 1: General Sentence. You lead to your essay with a sentence which summarizes the tendency of topics in the question.
- Sentence 2: Rephrase the question in other words.
- Sentence 3: Give your opinion.
Hope that my comment is helpful for you.

Home / Writing Feedback / E-books vs traditional books-IELTS Writing Task 2