Careers, living costs, jobs - life in a city vs. a countryside

SharonSian 2 / 4  
I am in eng 103 and just wrote a comparison essay on life in a big city to that of life in a small country town could someone please read it over it is not fully done

Sharon

When deciding between moving to a country town or a big city, there is much to take into consideration. It will be helpful to know about career oppritunites, cost of living and the education system. Although both a city and country town have there advantages and disadvantages, they greatly differ from one another. When picking between the two it is essential to choose the one that is most adaptable to ones lifestyle. Knowing there will be jobs open, having an idea of the cost of living in one of the both and being able to further ones education is something that needs to be looked into before making a commitment to one or the other.

One of the biggest reasons why some may be put off from moving to a country town, are the types of careers or sometimes the lack of. In most small towns the job or career oppritunites have taken a great blow, we can take Quesnel for example. A lot of mills have shut down causing workers to be laid off, many would not want to be moving into a town where there are already unemployed individuals looking for jobs. It does not mean there are no job opprotunities at all in small towns,Sandra Ruiz, who is an event coordinator for region 8 explains that "Job development opportunities in small towns often exceed expectations if a job developer knows where and how to look for them." Every small town has some type of uniqueness to it, or something special that helps people stay employed. Quesnel had its lumber production, other towns might have oil, wheat or other products which need workers to be able to be taken care of.

The job oppritunites in a big city are abundant, there are jobs in many different types of work. Many who have all different types of hobbies or passions are able to find just the right jobs for themselves. Many people beleieve bigger city equals bigger opprotunites, but that is not always the case. There are jobs open to pretty much everyone in big cities, but what about finding just the right job. In a bigger city it seems as if there is always someone better and more qualified, what is one to do if they get passed over for someone with more skill. Some may get stuck at small retail shops or flipping burgers at their local McDonalds. Just because there is no shortage of jobs in big cities does not mean each and every person will be greatly successful in finding a job that pays well and has good benefits. Taking time to make sure a job that is able to pay and support one is available is an important decision in moving to a big city.

Living in a country town tends to cost a lower amount of money then other bigger places. With it being a small town getting from point a to point b takes a lot less time, meaning less gas wasted. Majority of the country towns in BC have a small selection of shopping malls and just shops in general, so worrying about overspending is something that tends to not be a big issue. For students attending school in small towns in is often much cheaper, also the cost of housing is a lot lower then compared to that of big cities. Housing is not just lower for students it is less for anyone thinking of buying a home. Farming is a major asset to small towns, food is homegrown for many so buying from the market or grocery stores is a second choice. It is cheaper for farmers because they have there own food, fire wood and a lot of other helpful items in there backyards.

Big city living costs vary for everyone, it could cost well above what someone is willing to pay or just make the budget. Depending on the type of job a person has they will feel different about the cost of living. Someone making a steady income and who has a stable job will be able to live a quite luxerious life in a big city. On the other hand a person who has picked up there whole life and decided to move to a big city might have a problem paying for transportation, bills and sometimes schooling. For a student moving to a big city is may be hard they are paying for school, transportation which surprisingly costs more then it should in bigger cities and they are also paying for their living costs. There are the little things such as entertainment that many spend money on. In the big city entertainment cost a fair amount of money, clubs and bars are not cheap to get into in a big city. One must have a set mind and goal to make it money wise in a big city, they must learn to spend wisely and on important items.

Furthering ones education is maybe one of the most important aspects to choosing where to live. Education in a small country town seems to work great for many and not so great for others. Families with small children tend to like it because it is quiet and safe for thier children, and they are with the same children every day and with the same teachers for years sometimes. The colleges or universities in small towns are made for those who like a lot of one on one time with teachers and

like smaller settings. Courses that a students is interested in are not always offered in small towns. The cost of education in smaller towns is alot less then compared to those of a bigger cities. This year many students from all over the world have chosen CNC Quesnel nursing course because its affordable and there is enough room for them in classes. Deciding to go to school in a small town students get a different feel for living, small towns are more close knit, everyone knows eachother and everyone is friendly to newcomers.

Education in bigger cities is a more wide variety of courses and and majors to choose from,a student can get into so many different courses.

Putting everything in to consideration about both small country towns and big cities, it is hard to say which one would really choose. Both are great, and have different job opprotunites. Choosing to live in a small country town or a big city cost different amounts of money, it all depends on ones income or what they are willing to pay. Education should play a key part in choosing, being able to get into courses and the field one wants is a big advantage. It is a tough choice, but with

the right information it is possible to pick the best place for a family to reside in.
Hi,

Although both athe city and country town have there own advantages and disadvantages, they greatly differ from one another.

I feel this sentence confuses your idea. I believe what you want to tell is the city and village have their specific advantages and disadvantages. And also they are different to one another.

I suggest;

The city and village greatly differ from one another in many ways. They have both advantages and disadvantages unique to them.
Knowing there will be jobs open, having an idea of the cost of living, in one of the both and being able to further one's education is somethin g are some things that need to be looked into before making a commitment to one or the other.

I think you should add a sentence to the end of the first paragraph, and it should be a sentence that gives the reader the main idea of the whole essay. Can the main idea be summed up in a sentence?

:-)

Do not forget the apostrophe:
Furthering one's education is ...

Choosing to live in a small country town or a big city cost different amounts of money. It all depends on ones income or what they are willing to pay.

Home / Writing Feedback / Careers, living costs, jobs - life in a city vs. a countryside