Article: Causes of teen depression

tranghg 1 / -  

Teenager Depression: The truth untold

According to the World Health Organization, by 2020, more than 264 million people will be suffering from depression worldwide. Adolescents aged 12 to 17 had the highest major depressive episodes (14.4%). What factors have led to this issue, and how can people reduce the severity of teens' depression?

Recently we have been living in a society with pre-set norms. Young people are informed to be role models that respond to common real-world demands about what they look like, what they have to be, and how they behave. For instance, people assume that girls are considered beauties with slim bodies and fair skin, which is the beginning of the issue called body shaming. As children grow up not to be portrayed on social media or to resemble their peers, they feel different, self-deprecating, and culminate in teen depression. Last year, researchers found that, on average, 94% of teenage girls and 64% of teenage boys have suffered from image shaming on the internet.

Besides, the school environment is also one of the factors leading to depression in teenagers. School is not only a positive setting for learning and growth but also a place where teenagers struggle to keep up with the heavy workload, pressure of achievement, and stress of exams. The great frustrations and beliefs about academic ability can lead to depression in teenagers. The Paper cites statistics from The Economist, which show that China's teen suicide rate ranks first in the world, of which the cause due to school pressure accounts for 26%.

Depression can be seen as a fever. It starts small and then builds up over time till getting worse. That is why people should be aware of it as soon as possible.
Recently we have been living

Since this is supposed to be a general reference article, it is important that the writer maintain an unbias point of view in the presentation. It is more advisable to use third person pronouns rather than first person pronouns when presenting information in this case. The objectivity of the article has to be clear to the reader, by keeping the personal point of view out of the discussion.

suffered from image shaming on the internet.

Which has led to what sorts of depression in teens? There are several types of depression that should be indicated in this article based on the degree of studies that have resulted from the basis of body shaming. Try to mention and discuss a few of these depressions.

The essay stopped midstream. There is no reference to solutions, which was indicated as one of the article topics at the start of the presentation. You need to provide additional research to complete the article. The information presented is actually a bit superficial and lacking in professional references, which makes it only a draft and outline rather than an almost complete article.
felixtobi 2 / 5  
Would also like to add something regarding a sentence in your essay which is, "Last year, researchers found that, on average, 94% of teenage girls and 64% of teenage boys have suffered from image shaming on the internet."

I think you should streamline this by being specific about the research or the researchers, instead of the common generalization.
So, what researchers? can you also make reference to the particular research?

Home / Writing Feedback / Article: Causes of teen depression