Challenges of learning a new language

solivagant 8 / 15 6  

foreign language STUDY - ISSUES, EXPERIENCES

Many people believe that learning a foreign language is a very difficult task. What are the most difficult things about learning a foreign language? What is the best way to overcome them? Explain and include your personal experience or knowledge of these problems.

It is true that a large number of people find it hard to acquire a new language. Although the second language learners might face several difficulties, there are some useful methods to deal with them.

One of the most frequent problems the language learners go through is comprehension. Despite of the good vocabulary knowledge, they struggle a lot to understand the native speakers. However, speaking the language which is completely different from your native one is probably much more challenging, because it involves both cognitive and motor skills. In other words, you have to think and act at the same time. That's why it takes non-native speakers great effort to become fluent in the foreign languages.

Hopefully, there are some helpful ways of removing the obstacles to this learning process. First of all, it is necessary to expose yourself to the language you're studying as much as possible. Also, it is important to listen to or read the things you're really passionate about. Personally, I've improved my understanding of English by watching open lectures on Youtube and reading a lot of interesting articles and books in English. However, you may not get the same results in speaking with this method only. In order to express your thoughts effortlessly, you should practice speaking in the targeted language at least an hour a day. For example, my speaking ability has been enhanced, since I started talking to myself in English on a daily basis.

In conclusion, learning a new language may seem tough for various reasons, such as difficulties in understanding and speaking , while using some strategies may help us through these problems.
Seba0901 1 / 4  
Hello! @solivagant
Nice work!
I think you give a coherent answer to this topic.
But in my opinion, I reckon that the topic asks that 'What are the most difficult things ..."

Maybe next time you can arrange two paragraphs for problems, and one for solution?
Dang Khoa 11 / 42  
@Seba0901, personally, I dont think so, just add more difficult things into the paragraph, dont make the essay too many paragraphs u know? But btw you're also right, the topic asks "most difficult things" and @solivagant only discuss one. I think @solivagant you write like : There are many problems in learning a new language, but personally, I think .... is the hardest to learn!

Btw @solivagant, the way you study English just like mine LOL, talking to yourself :))). My parents usually think that I'm autistic :)) and reading interesting magazines? Of course, those are damn good in improving a lot of different aspects in English :V. Hopefully, when I taking the IELTS exam... they will give me this kind of topic because it's so easy LOL :)!
Maria - / 1,098 389  
@solivagant
Hi there!

I love how well-balanced your essay is. I recommend that you keep this up in order to integrate more depth into your essay. Considering that you were able to integrate a lot of depth into your writing, I suggest trying to focus more the structure of your writing. I have noticed that you have a tendency to drag on your sentences, a common mistake for learners who have established themselves.

For instance, let's take a look at your third paragraph and consider this revision:

Hopefully, t There are ... of removing the to tackle these learning obstacles to this learning process. Firstly of all, it is necessary ... language you're studying as much as possible. Also,; it is important to listenand read up on topics you are passionate about. to or read ... about. Personally, I've improved my understanding of English ... reading a lot of interesting ...

Notice how you do not lose the meaning of the content even when you omit the words "a lot of" because it's not particularly contributing to your essay regardless. Recognizing these small portions will help you in the long-run.

Best of luck as always.

Home / Writing Feedback / Challenges of learning a new language