Discuss "Globalization: a positive or negative development?"

thekaryn13 1 / -  

Globalization: a positive or negative development?

With the relentless development of society come novel conceptions for global citizens, which include globalization. From all accounts, ones should get accustomed to life in times of globalization for the advantages it brings about, while a minority of people disagree on its benefits. From my perspective, humanity would benefit more from a world without globalization rather than regard it as a positive development.

On the one hand, extreme rate of globalization can result in culture shock, as some cultures that are considered appropriate in one region can be deemed as unusual or even immoral in other parts of the world. For instance, while in most of the western countries, childless couples are becoming increasingly common, a majority of residents of the eastern culture believe that the final purpose of marriage is to have children to continue the bloodline. Moreover, the over-integration of one culture into another may lead to culture homogenization on grounds of some individuals' propensity to abandon their own culture and replicate the others to affirm their uniqueness in public. Likewise, religious conflicts can happen more frequently due to disputes over diferent faiths and religions.

One the other hand, globalization at a suitable rate can serve as a tool of education for those who want to broaden their horizon about other cultures and prevent culture shock for those who intend to study abroad or reside in a foreign country. On top of that, the global economy can be stimulated by the promotion of international and intercontinental trade and international communication will be facilitated, resulting from the emergence of cultures and, hence, universal languages.

In conclusion, I believe that globalization at the present time does not have the adequate capacity to make its upsides outweigh the drawbacks.
The original prompt for this essay asks you to remind the public of the negative aspects of globalization. Therefore, the discussion paragraphs should present 2 negative aspects that the public can easily understand within a simple discussion. Therefore, even though you met the word count and gave full paragraph discussions, the essay cannot be scored based on the required response format. Your discussion format is comparative of the good and bad. The actual discussion should be focused on the bad only.

For this discussion, the comparative method should be used. That will require you to present a positive aspect of globalization, then explain the negative impact it actually provides. Fields for discussion could be in relation to international and local businesses, work demands on local laborers, or other similar ideas that can have a direct effect on the life of the people of a generic country.

Home / Writing Feedback / Discuss "Globalization: a positive or negative development?"