distance-learning versus attending college or university

melisia 1 / -  
Please help me modify my essay, I really want to get 6 plus in my writing part. Thanks a lot!

2014-2-2 (the first writing)

Many people use distance-learning programmes (study material post, TV, Internet, etc) to study at home, but some people think that it cannot bring the same benefits of attending college or university. To what extent, do you agree or disagree with this opinion?

Distance learning, as a newly appearing way in the education field, has become widely used these days. However, whether it is more beneficial than the traditional learning method or not has caused heated debate. My view is that only by combining these two methods together can students acquire more knowledge and skills.

It is obvious that through online learning, students can have access to various types of educational resources, the quantity of which were quite limited in the past. This is because the development of Internet makes remote learning feasible in a rather low cost which means even studying the course of university of Oxford at home is no longer an unrealistic dream. Therefore, in order to reduce the economic cost, an increasing number of students start utilizing distance-learning programmes.

That is not to say the traditional learning method (attending college and listening to teachers in the classrooms) is no longer crucial. Teachers, as the most important factors in the traditional, classroom-based learning are the ones not only share knowlegde and widsom to students, but also corret and motive them. This model has been accepted and functioning well for so many years. Students, especially when they were young, do not have the ability of distinguishing right from wrong which indicates that teachers' guidances are essential.

In sum, although remote learning brings benefits to the education field, yet we cannot neglect the importance of the traditional learning approach. Students, without teachers will surely get lost, but students who depend on teachers completely are not really learning.
eddies [Contributor] 25 / 1,208 476  
Hi Melisia,

In IELTS task 2, you will be offered one from 4 typical task words :
1. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
2. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
3. Explain this problem and suggest some solutions.
4. ... So sorry, I forget for this one :)

What you are asked to present is To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion? I don't see you have dealt with this. Your writing is more likely to go with Discuss both views and give your opinion.

From this ...

My view is that only by combining these two methods together can students acquire more knowledge and skills.

This might be you want to say... My own view is that these two methods are generally true, but not always so.
fikri 5 / 317 71  
Is there any difference between 'To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?' and 'Discuss both views and give your opinion.'?

in my opinion, these kinds of question have differences. when you deal with agree or disagree question, you should show your position whether you agree or disagree, so that the readers will understand easier. however, when you deal with discuss views question, you just need to mention these views and support them by giving some supporting sentences without show your position or you do not need to support one of these views.
tiaDS 73 / 235 52  

Please remember that the question is

To what extent, do you agree or disagree with this opinion?

not to give your view or opinion. So you should pay attention with the question.

If your question is agree or disagree, perhaps you should give your view whether you tend to agree or disagree or make balance your opinion between agree and disagree. Usually writter use While (subject + verb), (subject + verb) . to emphasis your writer opinion.

... your opinion should be more focused on whether distance learning brings same benefits of attending college or university or not. So, keep your scope only to that when expressing your view. The reason is that education is not only about acquiring knowledge or skills. It is about everything that helps shapes one's character and future.

Home / Writing Feedback / distance-learning versus attending college or university