What distinguishs Art from Design?

WangQi 1 / -  
Option #2: Submit your essay to Essay Forum. Essay Forum is a free, online peer review board moderated by top students, including graduate students and professors. After registering, you can submit the text of your essay with some guidelines for the review, such as your three areas of weakness or the description of the research paper project provided above. Do note that because this is a volunteer-based service, you may have to wait to get feedback. You can read more about this service at Essay Forum's Frequently Asked Questions.

If you choose this option, here's what you'll need to turn in for credit: submit a link to the relevant forum on which your essay was reviewed and/or screenshots of your essay and the review comments. To take a screenshot on Windows, use the PrtScn key and then paste using CTRL-V into a Word document. On a Mac, use the COMMAND-SHIFT-3 shortcut to take a shot. This will save the screenshot to your desktop as an image file that you can email to your instructor.

Essay:
Both art and design are looking for an aesthetic appearance when they were presented. When I was taking sculpture class in school, the instructor always gives the assignment with specific steps for us to follow. For instance, the assignment would ask you to make a box, on the assignment sheet, it would have the instruction of how to make a box, I always wondered why did the instructor would ask us to make specific object that he ask but not an free creation that we would like to express ourselves. I became confused about the definition of art and design, since the art piece was supposed to be created with no purpose at the beginning when first it was constructed, and design was the one that supposed to create based on purpose. Hence, I would like to go through some research to understand the blurred line between art and design and be able to identify what is art and design. In additionally, I am planning to give out the survey with some images of art work and design products to see if people are confused with art and design as well.

In Craig Elimeliah's article identified the clear lines between art and design and explained why the art and design become blurred. The difference between art and design are by its origin purpose. The definition of design is a plan or drawing to show the functional products of building, garment or objects before making it. Design is about simplify, it has clear requirement and direction to follow and produce a product, on the other hand, art is free creation. An art work could be taken up to many perspectives to look at but with no strong judgment about the art piece itself. Art could be sum up with expression; expressing an event or emotion to either public, private, politic or environment ...etc. the range of art is even wider than design. The blurred line between art and design happens when the new art work was created, they happened to be following those specific methods and pattern to establish the work, which there is no new method or innovation being seen on the piece. Without new innovation and a whole different origin inspiration, the art piece is more likely to be design than art.

The resources from all I have researched for now, only Craig's article was different from others, his article were mostly based on his reading experience in the past. He claimed that he have read lots of the books and articles about design and art but did not indicate what are those books and articles. However, I found his article is credible. Craig Elimeliah is the vise president and director of Technology and Digital Solutions at RAPP in Chicago which RAPP is the only company to provide six sigma process improvement services on the disciplines of advertising and marketing services.

Art and Design is everywhere around our daily life, but most art pieces now were seem more like design products, which made the art and design become blurred. The definitions that clearly distinguish the Art and Design became more important and more specific; those articles have put some great construction that explained why there is a blurred line between these two. Most sources I found were credible from education websites, textbooks and from the book that was published by the museum. Craig's article could only be the part of the supports to an research essay because he wrote this article from his perspective base on his experiences, and did not use any quotes to support his notion.

For the research method I would like to do a survey first in order to understand how much does people understand the different between art and design. The survey would be simply present with up to ten image of art piece and design product, and people who are surveyed would just simply identify if it is a design or art to the images. Then, for the rest of the source I would study the textbook and the online education website for gaining more knowledge and be fully understood for the topic.

For most people are confused about the art and design, due to the purpose of the piece and work. Even some designer were arguing about the definition of art and design are different in concept ad purpose. For the final paper I am hoping to be able to describe the blurred line between art and design. In addition, I am hoping to alter the way that how people think about the art and design. I will be focusing not just on the blurred area but also introducing how art and design have changed now.
Well.... I don't understand why you quoted EF sections on top of your essay. However, it is more important to tell us your prompt or the purpose of this writing so that we can provide you with more relevant comments. Is this for admission purpose or classroom assignment?

Both art and design are looking for an aesthetic appearance when they were presented.

... this sentence is somewhat confusing for me :(

When I was taking sculpture class in school, the instructor always givesgave the assignments with specific steps for us to follow.

... you should not have tenses mixed up.

but not ana free creation

..."an" is used only in front of vowels.

For instance, the assignment would ask you to make a box, on the assignment sheet, it would have the instruction of how to make a box, I always wondered why did the instructor would ask us to make specific object that he ask but not an free creation that we would like to express ourselves.

.... this sentence is too long dear. Therefore it does not flow well and disturb clarity of your idea.
thomascarlson - / 7  
Artist database contains the largest collection of fine art works from different parts of the world.These works are done by the famous artists.You can choose the art and artist from the data base from the art listing.
thomascarlson - / 7  
Arts and Designs are highly connected with each other.Only artists can make excellent designs.With the help of various softwares you can make excellent designs.
thomascarlson - / 7  
Museum of contemporary art contains the finest collection of great art works from different parts of the world.There are lot of paintings,sculptures of famous artist in these collection.
thomascarlson - / 7  
Contemporary art galleries are the greatest art works of all time.These works are done by the highly recognized and well famous artists.There are lot of exhibitions are done according to this.

Home / Writing Feedback / What distinguishs Art from Design?