Early cultivation of children's interest in learning second language

Lucy Kao 1 / -  
Q: Some experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school.
Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?

early start advantage of learning a foreign language

Whether children should have began a second languages in their earlier ages or not has been widely debated. Some people think it is positive, whereas others consider it is not essential for them to start in the primary school. Even though I have a tendency to believe in the former idea, negative and positive outcomes of both side, with my own insight will be elaborated in this essay.

First and foremost, cultivating children's interest in learning second language would be the main reason for advocates. Since elementary teachers tend to teach students by playing games, students have a opportunity of acqire the languages and makes them focus on it. Acquiring the languages by games reduces their pressure and also naturally inspire their motivation to learn un-mother tongue.

Earlier access to the different languages aid students to have much more times to get used to it. As most students deplete their whole strengths to study other academic disciplines in junior high school, they might not pay much attention and energy in learning one particular subject. Thus students probably think it is a pressure for emphasizing on learning foreign languages. Therefore, starting to utilize a second languages in primary school benefits children to have sufficient time for learning foreign language.

There are still others hold a contradictory respective. They thought teachers in primary school do not have excellent skills in the languages field. Students will have different levels of languages capacity for receiving far different informations from their respective teachers. On the other hand, the resulting causes a large range of students' abilities and makes subsequent teacher have a trouble in manipulating all the students, while the policy could regulate the outcome.

People stands for their opinion as they think plenty of advantages of both arguments are beneficial to children. While either insights have their worthy support parts, I believe earlier learning second language advantages has more than its drawbacks.
Lucy, this essay is very confusing to read. You failed to properly paraphrase the prompt requirements in the opening sentence and then you proceeded to create explanations that do not have a clear point to make. It is a very weak essay that uses improper English terms (there is no such term as "un-mother tongue"), has tremendous problems with grammar structure and sentence development, and also punctuation errors (when showing ownership the apostrophe comes before the S as in "student's" if you mean the plural form, then no apostrophe is required). You need to recall your word formation rules such as when to use "a" and "an" before a word (Hint: It has to do with consonants and vowels).

My main concern here is the fact that you did not understand the prompt requirements. Using controversial terms like "heated debate" when nothing of the sort is spoken of in the text makes it seem like you are sensationalizing the essay for the sake of the lexical resource score. Do not do that. Be academic at all times. You are not writing for a paparazzi newspaper. You are writing for an academic thinker. So do not use terms that are not implied in the original prompt. Here an example of a proper paraphrasing for this essay:

Experts are divided on the issue of foreign language learning. Some experts, believe that it would be best for students to learn a foreign language as early as primary school. Others, believe that the teaching of a secondary language should be delayed until high school. This essay will compare the scenarios for both types of language learning and compare whether or not foreign language learning either in primary or secondary school has more advantages then disadvantages.

Since the prompt did not require you to state a personal opinion, there was no need for you to do so. It is considered a prompt deviation for which you will be scored down. Just stick to the discussion of the material based on the instructions provided.

Home / Writing Feedback / Early cultivation of children's interest in learning second language