Home / Writing Feedback   % width   Posts: 3

IELTS Task 2 - Fast food should be taxed or not? Do you agree or disagree?

viscaria 1 / 3  
Topic: In some countries, many people suffer from health problems due to eating too much fast food. It is, therefore, necessary for governments to impose a higher tax on this kind of food. Do you agree or disagree?

Hello everyone, I've just written this essay and hope someone can give me feedbacks and sample band score. Thank you so much for your help!

___

In many countries, people's health is at risk because of eating too much junk food; therefore, it is necessary that governments should impose a higher tax on this kind of food. I firmly agree with this idea because levying a higher rate of tax on fast food will limit the customers' consumption and money from taxing can also be invested in nutrition's education.

Firstly, imposing a more expansive tariff on fast-food industry will reduce in general customers' consumptions. This is because the more expansive the tax is, the higher product cost is, and leading to fewer people be able to pay for this meal. Instead of buying fast food, people will buy much cheaper foods but containing higher nutritional values, like fishes, vegetables and meats. For example, Vietnam government has already imposed high taxes on fast-food industry. Therefore, from 2010 to 2024, fewer children and adults eat junk food than ever, and the public's health is improving in a positive trend.

Secondly, money from junk-food's taxes can use in a more meaningful way, such as raising awareness about nutrition. Most people eat junk food because of its convenience and addicted favor; so they care less about its nutritional values, long-term health's consequences and suffer health's risks later in life. However, this trigger issue can be solve if governments use money from imposing fast-food industry's taxes to educate people about nutrition and the risk when they consume fast food regularly. For instance, many schools in Vietnam have already taught children about what kind of food they should eat and what shouldn't. Therefore, many children have given up take-away foods, by choosing healthier options instead.

In conclusion, I totally agree that junk food should be levied a higher tax to reduce the amount of consumption and raise people's awareness about nutritional values to improve everyone's health.

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15208  
I firmly agree

While your answer can be viewed as technically correct, it is still an incorrect response format as per TA scoring considerations. You are expected to respond in a particular format for each prompt provided . In this case, you provided an extent or measured response format when a simple response was needed. So, you will get a passing RA score, specially since you provided an acceptable thesis statement with your response, but it will not be a full scoring credit because of the incorrect response format. Try to familiarize yourself with the different response requirements and formats so that you can maximize your scoring boost in the prompt restatement and writer opinion paragraph. Good job though. Your response is worthy of a passing score.

Try to meet the concluding summary requirements as well. Remember, it is 2 sentences comprise of 40 words or more. You won't get a full score for that paragraph without it.
vananh1009 2 / 2  
Hi I think you repeated the word "impose" many times, try to paraphrase it in different ways

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Task 2 - Fast food should be taxed or not? Do you agree or disagree?
Need professional help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: