Favorite Word and why-Rate/give advice for my college essay

mrkay66 2 / 4  
What is your favorite word and why? Explain in 500 words or less

When playing the game Hangman, the idea is to choose a word that your opponent cannot guess within a limited amount of tries. The strategy to performing well at this game is choosing words with less commonly used letters, arranged in an unusual fashion. Also, one should use the least vowels possible. One word that fits all of these parameters is the word "quirky". The order in which people usually guess vowels is the same order in which they are ordered in the alphabet, or "a, e, i, o, u". That is two wrong guesses right there for sure. Next, it would be logical to stop guessing vowels after "I" is uncovered, because the word is only six letters long, and the "i" is in the middle, so many people never even guess the "u". Finally, of the four consonants in the word "quirky", three of them are very uncommon. The combination of all of these factors makes "quirky" an exemplary word to use in hangman. This is also one of the many reasons why this word is one of my favorite words. To add on to that, the word "quirky" is worth a minimum of 72 points when played in the game Scrabble. Discounting all of these very appealing attributes of this word, the chief reason that I would call this word, out of the hundreds of thousands of words in the English language, is that it describes my personality to the core. One reason that this words describes is because two things that I identify closely with, two of the most personal things about me, are almost polar opposites. On one hand, I have been diagnosed with ADHD and can be very talkative, impulsive, and excessively communicative to a fault. On the other hand, I am an introvert and tend to shy away from intimate social relationships. These two things have been essential to my growth and to how people view me, but are in essence opposed. Other things that could make people think of me as quirky are a few habits of mine: biting the inside of my cheek, arguing nonstop but somehow being right most of the time, constantly drumming on anything solid, humming incessantly, and talking out of turn. Quirks like these are what make all of mankind unique individuals with our own eccentricities. Take away these, and you take away our identity. Without the word the can best be defined as my word, what would I be? For one, my skills at hangman and scrabble would be greatly diminished, as that is my signature word, but more importantly, I would lose some of my uniqueness.
Azeri 10 / 137  
you write well, as you have rich vocabulary and good knowledge of grammar, but this essay lacks structure. If you divide into paragraphs, it would look more consistent and coherents. So I suggest to break the essay and start second para with "Discounting.." and the last para with "Without":

To add on to that, the word "quirky" is worth a minimum of 72 points when played in the game Scrabble.
Discounting all of these very appealing attributes of this word, the chief reason that I would call this word, out of the hundreds of thousands of words in the English language, is that it describes my personality to the core

Quirks like these are what make all of mankind unique individuals with our own eccentricities. Take away these, and you take away our identity.
Without the word the can best be defined as my word, what would I be? For one, my skills at hangman and scrabble would be greatly diminished, as that is my signature word, but more importantly, I would lose some of my uniqueness.

very convinsing, I particulary like the para where you described yourself.
good luck!
Also, one should use the least as few vowels as possible. --- this is a tough sentence to get right! It is hard to use the word few correctly...

One word that fits all of these parameters is the word "quirky". (add a sentence about this word being your favorite word, and then end paragraph.)

Paragraph 2:
Quirky is a great word to use when playing hangman.The order in which people usually guess vowels is the same order in which ... many reasons why this word is one of my favorite words.

(new paragraph)
To add on to that, the word "quirky" is worth a minimum of 72 points when played in the game Scrabble--- you are funny. You choose your favorite words based on games you play? That is cool...
OP mrkay66 2 / 4  
Thank you both of you for your advice pertaining to my essay. It will help a lot, not only in this essay but more to come, as this is the first of many for this year.

Home / Writing Feedback / Favorite Word and why-Rate/give advice for my college essay