IELTS Writing task 2: Fewer and fewer people today write by hand using a pen, pencil or brush.

caohuyen93 4 / 8 1  
Fewer and fewer people today write by hand using a pen, pencil or brush. What are the reasons for this? Is the decline in writing by hand a positive or negative development?

It is true that writing by hand is not as common as it used to be. There are several reasons contributing to this fact, however, I do not believe that this is a negative development.

The decline in writing by hand can be attributed to various reasons. One of the most fundamental ones is due to the advancement in technology. With cutting-edge devices such as laptops, mobile phones, people can easily type words whenever needed with much faster speed. Therefore, it is not necessary for people to use their handwriting often. Furthermore, the fast-paced and multitasking working style encourages individuals to do many tasks at the same time, thus, using hand to write like in the past might not help them in boosting the productivity and efficiency. Comparing writing emails and letters, for example, emails can reach recipients faster than letters. Meaning that information can be exchanged shortly result in a higher level of productivity.

It seems to me that this is not a negative tendency. Without using pen to write, people still can convey their messages clearly and successfully by utilising smart devices. They might become slow writers when it comes to handwriting, however, their literacy levels will not deteriorated as technology users still need to communicate with others on a regular basis. In addition, changing to a more convenient method of writing helps people work and study more effectively. As the time allocated to handwriting can be reduced by faster typing, workers or students have more time to focus on more important tasks such as planning, and thinking.

In conclusion, technology and changes in lifestyle are main reasons contributing to a reduction in writing by hand. That said, it is generally a positive development as modern people can fasten their work and enhance the productivity. (297)
It is true that writing by hand is not as common as it used to be.

This is your personal opinion. It is not an accurate representation of the original prompt. Being your writer's opinion, this should be found towards the last part of the first paragraph together with your reasoning sentence. The first paragraph will not receive a passing TA score because of the incorrect response format in that section.

It seems to me

You are not confident in your own opinion. You should not use doubtful references in the discussion. State everything factually. Give your opinion strength of insight to get a better TA and C+C score.

Your reasoning paragraphs are strong and well developed. However, there is a shortage of transition phrases and sentences in the overall presentation. You may want to increase your transition usage so that you can have an increased GRA score.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Writing task 2: Fewer and fewer people today write by hand using a pen, pencil or brush.