IELTS - Writing Task 2 Foreign language at elementary school

Ilmi_03 47 / 69 11  

Learning a Foreign Language as a Child

With regard to the advancements in communication systems, people throughout the world concern on language acquisition. While it is a common method that students learn second language in secondary school, some experts claim that it is preferable to be educated at elementary school. I personally believe that this approach brings many drawbacks due to children development rather than its benefit.

People who argue that elementary school is the best place to teach foreign language based on one main reason. They concern that pupils of elementary school have a golden opportunity to learn new languages because of their cognition growth. The study conducted by K. Anders Ericson, a researcher of Cambridge University, discovered that children aged 4-9 years old experienced a valuable phase, included character building. At this period, they can memorize a wide range of words and straightforward to practice conversation in daily life. However, this ability will decrease as children get older. Therefore, it is evident that introducing foreign language earlier to children is good for their development.

However, learning other languages in earlier age is without untold harm towards children's development. Firstly, as children learn to hold conversation, they can be confused to distinguish both of native and second languages. They are potential to suffer from dyslexia, which is a common problem in children of primary school. They get diff1iculties in spelling words, writing words, and understanding reading. Also, children who practice bilingual will experience some problems to interact in society because they are not confident to communicate. They are reluctant to get involve in the community. In addition, they tend to be lack of nationality because they are more likely learning other languages instead of their own cultures.

In conclusion, it is evident that, while learning foreign language in primary school is beneficial in some extents, there are more drawbacks for children. Therefore, language learning, either native or foreign languages, in formal education should be concerned appropriately.
Eric2750230 7 / 11 6  
Hi there, your essay flows well from top to bottom and personally I would grade this essay 6 or 6.5 out of 9 and not more than that because despite it is a good essay there are few grammatical mistakes and problems with the sentence structure and also your conclusion seems to be vague and incomplete.

At this period, they can memorize a wide range of words and straightforward to practice conversation in daily life.

At this period, they can memorize wide range of words and practice conversation daily

... in primary school is beneficial in some extents

... in primary school is beneficial to some extent
Permata992 7 / 12  
Hi ilmi,
I left comment here..i hope that it can help you to improve your writing skill. This is good essay i ever know because it is few grammatical error and i wanna comment in others perspective.

... communication systems, people througoutthroughout the world concern ...
I personally believe that this approach brings many drawbacks due to children ... (I suggests you to mentioned the drawbacks within this paragraph to produce a powerful introduction)

... in formal education should be concerned appropriately. (I suggests you to mentioned the recommendation in your opinion in this paragraph to produce a good conclusion)

I hope it will help you..thanks..break a leg to real test..
pebzna12 13 / 24 9  
Hi, Mi!

I think it either the absent of main verb or the existence of the word 'who' in the sentence below that somehow make it seems incomplete or else ambiguous for me..

People who argue that elementary school is ...

and, another one, i honestly have difficulty to understand the meaning of the following sentence, especially the italic one..

However, learning other languages in earlier ageis without untold harm towards children's development.

That's all Mi, hopefully it will be helpful! Keep writing! (;

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS - Writing Task 2 Foreign language at elementary school