WRITING IELTS TASK 1: FREE TIME ACTIVITIES OF THE ELDERLY IN THE UNITED STATES FROM 1980S TO PRESENT

chickennoodles 1 / -  

Leisure time activities in the USA

The provided line graph gives information about free time activities of the elderly in the United State in the period of 20 years from 1980 to 2010.
In general, reading, hiking , watching TV and surfing the internet experienced an upward trend while the theater shows a downward trend.
As the given chart, there was a dramatic rise with no fluctuation in hiking from 20% in 1980s to over 80% in 2010s. Both watching TV and surfing the internet increased gradually between 1980s and 2000s, however, surfing the internet started to increase sharply from 15% in 2000s to over 50% in 2010s contrasted with the fall of watching TV in this period.

From 1980 to 1990, in comparison with going to the theater, which underwent a significant decrease by 20%, the percentage of reading rose gradually. In 1990s, going to the theater increased back again peaking at over 45% in 2010s while reading suddenly fell to 20% in 2000s before reaching 60% in 2010s.

You have to use the proper format for the task 1 essay. That means, you have to separate the presentation into 3 - 4 paragraphs. The paragraphs are as follows:

Par. 1 - Summary overview
Par. 2: - First data report
Par. 3 - Second data report
Par. 4: Comparison point/s

All paragraphs need to be within 3-5 sentences in length. Although for a task 1 essay, you may find it hard to hit the 5 mark so 3 sentences will suffice. The essay actually lacks the comparison discussion. A closer look at the graph will show that there are several overlapping lines that could have been used to refer to the comparison requirements in paragraph 4. 3 reference points would be good enough to meet the comparison requirement of the report.
Randa94 - / 1  
You have to use the proper format for the task 1 essay. That means, you have to separate the presentation into 3 - 4 paragraphs.

Home / Writing Feedback / WRITING IELTS TASK 1: FREE TIME ACTIVITIES OF THE ELDERLY IN THE UNITED STATES FROM 1980S TO PRESENT