( IELTS ) Gap year: Good or bad? Careful decision of an individual

joythblessy 86 / 272 15  
In some countries, young people are encouraged to work of travel for a year between finishing high school and starting university studies. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages

Taking a year gap between high school and university has become a popular option among many young people. Both rich and poor students are following this trend. It has both merits and demerits and in this essay, I will explain both in detail.

The time off provides a break after many years of formal education. The benefits of taking a year off are plentiful. On the personal level, students who travel away from home develop their independence and self-confidence. This opportunity, provide them a chance to do something hands-on and refreshing. It helps them to study more about themselves and the world around them. On a cultural level, they learn more about different viewpoints, traditions, and perspectives, which are different from their own. Professionally, students get a taste of diverse workplaces, which might inspire a possible carrier interest, and financial security. Poor student can earn money for their further studies. Intellectually, they examine their benefits and ideas in relation with others in a new environment. All these advantages combine to make a strong support for taking the one-year gap.

Nevertheless, there are also dangers involved in taking such a long break at that important age. Academically, the main drawback is that students can get side tracked from their studies. Basic knowledge came into possession of a pupil at school should be preserved for further development at university. Human brain forgets facts rapidly which are not in use. As a result, the student may loss the good study habits and sense of discipline they had when they were in a formal academic structure. Moreover, if they gain from working they may also be deluded into thinking that they are making a lot of money. Pupil could drop the benefit of college or university education and there by a chance to enjoy a higher income in their future. In this age, children are mature enough to take proper decisions, and may run after luxurious life style. For making easy sweat less money, they may involve in anti- social activities and spoil their total life.

In short, whether to take a long year long gap or not is an individual decision. Young pupils should consider their motivations carefully before taking a decision. Time is precious for all ages. It is essential to use it wisely.
colin 23 / 48 15  
This opportunity, provide them a chance to do something hands-on and refreshing.
==>>This opportunity provides them with hands-on experience in the real world.

Professionally, students get a taste of diverse workplaces, which might inspire a possible carrier interest, and financial security.
==>>Professionally, students are able to experience diverse types of works, which might inspire their interest in a certain field.

Poor student can earn money for their further studies.
==>>Impoverished students can earn their tuition.

Nevertheless, there are also dangers involved in taking such a long break at that important age.
==>>Nevertheless, there are also dangers involved in taking such a long break at such an important period.

Human brain forgets facts rapidly which are not in use
==>>we easily forget knowledge which has been taught but we do not use.

==>>We would soon forget knowledge because of lack of learning.
OP joythblessy 86 / 272 15  
Hai colin...

Thanks a lot..

Tessy
ash5005 10 / 16  
good points ..well structured...all the best
OP joythblessy 86 / 272 15  
Hai...Ashbin..

Thanks for your commends and the time spent for reading the essay..

All the best for your exams...

Tessy

Home / Writing Feedback / ( IELTS ) Gap year: Good or bad? Careful decision of an individual