Why genetic research must be more diserve (Ted Talks by Keolu Fox) - Summary

ashelarisa48 36 / 52 4  
Have you heard about Human Genome Project? It is an international collaboration research programme that aims to mapping and understanding about individual genome in the world. Keolu Fox is a researcher who gets interest to this project, particularly in a sort of research named Indigenomics. For information, Indigenomics focus on improving minority health through methods that respect indigenous knowledge.

It started when he was a child, his grandmother, who had been a nurse, always told about Pastor Damien, a Belgian missionary who had spent his life to Hawaiian society in Kalaupapa, a leprosy village in Hawai. The story made him feeling curious, why did the missionary choose to be outcast in Kalaupapa and where was the leprosy bacteria from? The fact is Kanaka Maoli, the indegenous people of Hawaii, was contracted by leprosy very easily.

Interestingly, the most of genetic research was conducted to European descent at 96% and only about 4% was done to non European. Unfortunately, for indegenous it was less than 1% of research. Although Human Genome Project can possibly help people to know more about health potential, to predict and to control degenerative disease.

One of the challenges was about distrust. To illustrate, history told that in 1989, a researcher from Arizona State University had taken blood samples of Havasupai Ethnic in Arizona. The purpose was to search solution for diabetes type 2 but the samples was abused to other research such us schizoprenia. After all, the research was prosecuted and banned by the local. It gave domino effect and spread to other ethnic in South America. Facing this matter, the main point is to not make indegenous being object of research but partners. It is important to explain to them about potential of the use and misuse of genetic code.

Start from now, the experts should give more attention to conduct more diserve research about genetic especially to non European descent and indegenous to rich the knowledge of human genome. It is the key to avoid a big gap from human genetic at present and past. We do not want to lose any information about genetic code of our ancestor, do we? Then, it can be used for better life.

Related video : ted.com/talks/keolu_fox_why_genetic_research_must_be_more_diverse
akbarmappiare 31 / 469 275  
Hi Ashela..
Welcome to Essay Forum.
I am very keen on reading your writing. Actually, it is a good job since it is free of a large number of grammar errors. Nevertheless, there are some things which should be improved. Let me help you to develop your creation.

that aims to mapping and understanding about individual genome ..

Keolu Fox is a researcher who gets A interest to IN his project.

the indegenous INDIGENOUS people of Hawaii, was ...

Interestingly, the most of THE genetic research (...) 4% was done to non-European. Unfortunately, for indegenous INDIGENOUS

to control THE degenerative disease.

... type 2 but the samples was WERE abused to other research such us schizoprenia SCHIZOPHRENIA

make indegenous INDIGENOUS being

about A potential of the use and ...

... attention to conducting more diserve research DISEASE RESEARCHES

about genetic especially to non-European descent and indegenous INDIGENOUS to rich

information about A genetic code of our ancestor, do we? Then, it can be used for better life.

Note: I do not know exactly whether this can be categorized as the summary or not.You included much information in this writing, so it seemed heavy. In the next writing, you should write the summary which consists lees than 150 words.

Overall, it is a good summary.
I am looking forward to meet your writing.

Home / Writing Feedback / Why genetic research must be more diserve (Ted Talks by Keolu Fox) - Summary