Give your opinion on punishing young children. Propose alternatives.

androangelface 1 / -  
Hi all, could you please give feedback on this essay?

penalties against children

It is unquestionably essential that children be capable of distinguishing between rights and wrongs. It does not mean that they should get disciplined to figure out these dissimilarities. I firmly believe that punishing young children is unjust. Instead of such cruel practices, parents and guardians should employ a more restrained approach.

On the one hand, it is now widely acknowledged that violent penalties against children have particularly negative impacts. First and foremost, they may be subject to physical and psychological injuries. In addition, studies have also proven an increased tendency of misbehavior in said juveniles. One of the suggested reasons is that when young children are exposed to violence early in their lives, they start to mimic such doings as a defense mechanism. On the other hand, other types of verbal punishment - such as scolding - may induce mental distress and confusion in young toddlers. When parents or guardians lash out at the young child, they will naturally become frightened. Their agitation may cause them to close off interactions, as they try to shield themselves from reprimand. Unfortunately, this act of self-preservation may spawn undesirable effects on children's psychological development. Recent research has pointed out that children who suffer from verbal abuse are especially prone to becoming emotionally and psychologically stunted. Hence, I reckon that it is time parents tried other non-violating and more temperate methods of discipline. I propose that children be left to discover the consequences of their actions alone - though with proper caution. Besides, sending them to do extra chores or complete additional assignments may be one alternative to punishing a child - without making them experience discomfort. On another note, parents can train their offspring to be upright individuals by setting examples themselves. I suppose that this is arguably the best way of bringing up a toddler.

It is of utmost importance that youngsters get nurtured and tutored properly - with loving words and caring actions. No children should have to suffer because of the minor mistakes they inevitably make. I insist that guardians of young adolescents refrain from imposing harsh punishment and make an effort to employ milder substitutes.
Avoid exaggerations in your restatement presentations as words such as "unquestionable" will alter the original intent of the presentation. Being a general reference in the original, the same sentiment should be presented in the restatement. The additional word, as an exaggeration appears to be the writer's personal opinion, which should not be included in the prompt restatement. The extent response and personal response basis are very well developed. However, there should have been a clear reference to what 2 restrained discipline approaches you plan to discuss in the essay. One clearly referring to parental alternative discipline and the other, related to teacher implemented regulations for students. That way a full pre-discussion summary is completed in accordance with task requirements.

The reasoning paragraphs do not follow the prescribed 3 paragraph format. These should separately represent:
- The opinion of the writer
- Suggested parental discipline
- Suggested teacher conduct control action

The writers does not fully thresh out the discussion based on the required format for the discussion. There needs to be a differentiation between educator and parental discipline. They cannot be expected to use the same methods since they are related to the child in different ways. One is personal, the other is educational. So the alternative discipline method should represent that difference.

While the exam taker showed an understanding of the prompt, the discussion method is incorrect and does not represent the correct discussion considerations. While the essay will receive scores in all aspects, I am not sure if these will be enough to pass the test.

Home / Writing Feedback / Give your opinion on punishing young children. Propose alternatives.